New user questions

I’ve been using Roon for a few months, with a small library by the standards reported here by others.

I’m puzzled that some features seem to come and go. What worked during my eval period sometimes no longer works. I’ve seen some quirks come and go. I just want to know if these are known issues. I’ve tried demonstrating Roon to friends and have had features stop, disappear, crap out during the demonstration etc. Bit frustrating huh?

Examples:
with the core on an i5 thinkpad, music on a usb stick. If I connect to the core with an iPad by wifi, then connect headphones to the iPad by Bluetooth, why can’t I see the iPad zone in the Roon software? Zone transfer is not an option. This has worked before.

If I connect to the core with a new Android phone, I can see the music library but have no control. This has worked with an older phone.

If I start a playlist of say 260 tracks, why does it play maybe 3 or 4 tracks and then stop? Or play one album in sequence? Or stop in the middle of a track in a playlist and start another track?

These aren’t major gripes but frustrations. I don’t think they’re network congestion and I doubt they’re due to underpowered hardware. I’ve seen similar quirks with two different core machines.

Thanks.

All of those things should work. A fuller description of your network and hardware, software will help with diagnosis.
Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

TEXT GOES HERE

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TEXT GOES HERE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

TEXT GOES HERE

Description Of Issue

TEXT GOES HERE

Yeah, sorry I’ve used this template before but it didn’t appear when I started the message above.

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Thinkpad X1 tablet, Windows 10, Roon build 416
Apple iMac, macOS Sierra 10.12.6 Roon build 416

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Eero access points, cabled core (iMac) or wifi (PC)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Bluetooth Bose speakers or headphones. BT connections are to core machines or to a remote iPad Pro, OnePlus 7 pro Android phone.
Cabled speaker to core machine.

Description Of Issue
As described above

Hi @Lee_Hammond — Thanks for reaching out!

Does this only happen when you have Bluetooth headphones connected, or does that not matter here?

Just to verify, you’re only looking for the endpoint when using the iPad as a remote, correct?

If you go to Settings > Audio, do you see this Zone?

Can you share a screenshot of what you’re seeing here? What do you mean by you don’t have any control, exactly? What aren’t you able to control?

There are a few different possibilities here, so to better understand what you’re experiencing, please see the following:

• Does this only occur during playlist playback? If you are playing Roon Radio, specific albums, or other media, does this occur?

• Does this occur for all zones?

• How often does this behavior occur? Every time you start playback to a playlist? Just occasionally?

• Does this only

Hi Dylan,
Thanks for the details. Sorry it’s taken me some time to get back to you.

Zone transfer on the iPad had been disabled. This now works, when enabled. Does it get disabled for some reason (eg when a remote output is disabled)?

With the OnePlus 7 Android phone, it now won’t connect at all to the core, so I can’t show the lack of controls in the remote control screen. This worked fine on a slightly older oneplus 3 phone! On the OP7, I see nothing below the album window, where you’d expect to see the audio waveform and remote controls. I’ll post a screen shot when I can capture this.

For the playlist quirks, it’s only occasionally but happens for albums and/or playlists. On all zones, at times. Can’t make it happen! It’ll start a track and jump to the next one, saying the file can’t be loaded.

Finally, the interface for this forum is difficult to use on an iPad at least. I can’t reply while reading your questions, as the reply window wants to fill the screen. I have to keep jumping back and forth between the windows!

Thanks!

Is this a PC performance/spec issue?

The music library is on a USB stick plugged into the PC. This is happening way too often. The playback just stops and the playlist moves on to the next track. The PC is not doing anything else at the time!

Thanks

Hi @Lee_Hammond,

Can you confirm whether or not your Roon Core is stored on an SSD? We recommend that your Core uses an SSD for optimal performance, and these types of issues could certainly happen if an SSD is not used.

Our forums utilize Discourse. The interface isn’t something that we control, as it’s standard for all forums that use Discourse. Different devices will have slightly different interfaces, so if possible it may be helpful to use a laptop here as it allows you to type while also viewing previous posts.

Hy Dylan, thanks for the response
Yes, the Lenovo X1 has an SSD for its storage. It has about 10% free, which is why the music files are on a USB stick. Processor is an m5 running at 1.1GHz, with 8GB of RAM.

I understand about the forum interface. Thanks.

I would seriously think about getting a USB hard drive and use that instead. USB thumb drives dont have error correction.

Thanks for the info, @Lee_Hammond.

You mentioned above that you also have an iMac. If you use the iMac as your Core instead of the Thinkpad, do you experience the same issue?

Not to mention that some USB thumb drives are really slow on reads.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.