New user unable to get playback [Solved - Hardware Issue]

hello - I’m trying out Roon and it looks very intriguing. I have a largish library (~300k tracks) and everything ingested fine, metadata linked up great etc. However I cannot get audio to playback through my USB connected DAC which is a Soundcraft Signature mixing desk. iTunes, JRiver Media Center, Logic, Audition etc. all recognize and playback fine. Nothing with Roon. Actually I can get sound (albeit horrible glitchy static-like sounds) to playback if I choose DSP volume. Short of that no combinations of settings produces any sound. I’m running El Cap on a Hackintosh. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Richard,

Try clicking Exclusive mode.

Cheers, Greg

I did try that Greg and sure enough it locks out my other apps but delivers no sound. Thanks.

Have tried unchecking Max Device Volume?

Cheers, Greg

I have. I think that I’ve tried almost every combination General and Playback pages under the Audio tab. It’s frustrating because despite the subscription model (which I hate) it looks awesome. I’ve been browsing through my music collection reading reviews of albums and band bios and it’s been fascinating. If only I could actually hear something…

Let’s call in the big guns @support.

Cheers, Greg

Hey @Richard_Bock – sorry for the trouble here. Is there an error when this happens?

Or does sound play, the time ticks up, but nothing comes out? If it’s the latter, would you mind giving us a screenshot of Signal Path, like this:

Mike - I’m not sure where the signal path page is located. My signal path is file (I’ve tried every format) from a local drive to usb out of my Hackintosh to the USB input of my Soundcraft. There doesn’t appear to be any error. The file plays according to the waveform progress bar. This is confirmed when I change things to DSP Volume. The track plays in that really annoying way when the wrong sample/bit rate is chosen for playback. Stops and starts etc. So it seems the file is definitely playing back.

1 Like

Hi Richard,

You can find the signal path page by tapping (by mouse/finger) on the light purple or green light at the center bottom of the screen above the track time tracker. Best, Robert

Got it. Thanks Robert.

Hi Richard,

Tap the Zone icon (to the left of volume in the footer) currently reading System Out. This will bring up the Zones selector. Tap the Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK Zone. Hit Play.

You may find the Knowledge Base User Guide a useful resource when coming to grips with Roon.

1 Like

Hi @Richard_Bock ----- Thank you for the follow up and the requested screenshot :thumbsup: Just checking in here to see if there has been any progress made.

Have you tried the advice provided by @andybob yet? Let me know if there is any confusion or if further troubleshooting is needed and I’ll be glad to help!

-Eric

I’m traveling today but will try when I get home tomorrow thank you

1 Like

OK, still nothing happening here. I tap on the Soundcraft icon and here’s the screenshot. It certainly seems to be the selected zone. Am I missing something really obvious? I have gone over the FAQ and browsed the forum looking for similar issues. I’ve been doing production audio and video work for about 25 years and done my share of troubleshooting of software/hardware issues. My first response is to RTFM but I know that there can be really simple things staring you in the face that you just can’t see. I’m hoping that’s the case here. Thanks for any further help.

Hi Richard,

Everything looks ok. I’m not familiar with sending Output to a mixing console.

Let’s flag @eric and get his help again.

Is this the output device you’re using?

Cheers, Greg