Newbie: May Music Files Copied to Nucleus Internal SSD be in Folders and Subfolders?

I don’t even HAVE Roon yet but, I’m planning to set up a Nucleus with an internal drive for music. My current music library is sorted into folders by artist and then in subfolders by albums. When I move copies of the music over to the internal drive on the Nucleus, may I move the folders with the music inside them or just the music files themselves? Does it matter? The directions I’ve read just say copy the “files” so I want to know if they mean that literally.

1 Like

The short answer is yes. I originally had my music files on a windows PC in the My Music folder with the folder structure setup by dbpoweramp, probably similar to what you mentioned. When I moved my library to a NUC I used drag and drop over the network and took the whole My Music folder structure. It works as is.

1 Like

Yes, you can maintain your folder hierarchy when copying to the Nucleus internal drive. I copied my entire top-level music folder and all of its subfolders from my NAS to my Nucleus, under the Data/Storage/InternalStorage folder. Works perfectly.

Btw, the same is true for any other drives you point your Nucleus (or any Roon server) to, including external physically connected drives and NAS drives. It’s smart enough to traverse the folder hierarchy to find your music.

1 Like

Thanks to you both. I figured it was probably that easy but didn’t want to find out it wasn’t the hard way!

1 Like

Unless things have changed with 1,8, you will not be able to use focus to bookmark the folders. If storage is on attached drive you can. This forced me to revert to attached drive as I have a folder for classical, one for Prog, one for MQA etc and I like to bookmark them for easy sorting. I hope I am wrong.