Newbie with only basic computer literacy considering purchasing roon

Hi Slim … thanks for your comments.
As far as the software goes, I simply put the notebook (Windows 7) in the study and hooked it into a spare socket in my router using an ethernet cable. The main desktop PC (Windows 10) is also connected to the router. I set-up networking permissions/file sharing settings on both computers as best I knew how, which was probably a long way from optimal (never had a need for home networking before so it’s all new to me). Everything here just runs on wifi or Chromecast. The CXN streamer in the listening room was connected to the router using a newly installed ethernet cable also. The CXN’s android phone app could “see” both the computers and all of the drives but did not identify (display) all of the albums in the Music folder on the notebook. The albums it did display were able to be played but some of the tracks were played in an incorrect order.
Before purchasing the CXN I had JRiver (and the Flac albums, all on the one drive) on the notebook playing to the Schitt usb DAC. It played flawlessly. Flac file importing was equally trouble free … just drag and drop albums into the designated music folder and it just worked.
What do you use for a core device and how is it set-up within your system? Why is a NAS as server not popular?
What does a Nucleus provide (in terms of less headaches) that a NUC and/or NAS setup does not?
Thanks again for your initial response … it’s very much appreciated.

Thanks Lennyboy … sounds like good advice … I certainly won’t be making any major component purchases for a while. The CXN has been enough of a disappointment. I’m determined to learn as much as I can though and get it integrated into my stereo system successfully. When you say “start small” what would that look like? I need some sort of upgraded storage for sure … and I understand that the notebook isn’t going to be part of my music listening future. So new software and something dedicated to running it has to be part of the big picture. But what? … any suggestions?

A NUC draws about 8W at idle. That’s a little more than a clock radio. If you have Tivo (DVR) it uses more, as does a satellite dish. Most people don’t turn those appliances off when they aren’t being used, of course.

2 Likes

Hi David … I’ve got about 500 albums … but that will grow over time.
I suppose I could install it on the desktop PC (it’s underutilised anyway). My music files are backed up on an attached 2gb HDD. I guess it would push the selected files to the CXN streamer over the wired network/router connection. Would this do just to get a feel of how it works?

… and … why is Roon problematic with a NAS?

Almost certainly. Check to see if the desktop PC has a solid state drive.
Roon keeps a database open during use. If it is on the SSD, things will be snappy. If it is on a spinning drive, performance will be a little laggy.

Two reasons:

1. Most NAS do not have a CPU that meets minimal requirements and most don’t have an SSD for the database, so performance is slower than most minimally equipped PCs.
  2. The way a NAS reports information back to Roon is different (and suboptimal) compared to a USB drive. That in itself isn’t the biggest drawback as it is mostly a problem when you add new music. It can be a couple hours before Roon knows the new music is there.

Sound-wise, no real differences.

1 Like

Home built Ryzen 2700, connected via Ethernet.

As far as a repository for your music files, it’s mostly because it doesn’t report new files to Roon in a timely manner and people have to do manual re-scans. As a Core device, it’s under-powered for most people and to get one that has enough juice is expensive.

Theoretically, it’s a turnkey device with little or no setup work by the user. No advantage in SQ over a NUC. NUCs are much cheaper, especially if you can put one together yourself.

Have fun.

1 Like

I use a dedicated souped up Mac Mini 2018 for my Roon core, streaming and music storage. I’ve integrated it using HDMI to HDMI to my A/V receiver. I run on a wired network in my home. After a lot of testing, I also decided to leave the Mac on 24/7 with periodic reboots. The Mac does its job but it requires monitoring, care and feeding. It has issues with with overheating due to processes running out of control. I am enjoying my music so I can deal with my current hardware. I think Roon brings a lot to the table as far connectivity and sound quality.
I have separated music system enhancements into two categories: Sound Quality and Convenience. A NAS would be a convenience so that I could centralize my music collection. I have 4 computers running Linux, Windows and MAC and 5 networked speakers (Bose Soundtouch) in addition to my A/V setup with Roon. One copy of music with automatic updates via a NAS would be convenient. This does not add to Sound Quality and it is another computer I have to support.
For Sound Quality, I’ve done a lot of research on DACS, AMPS and Receivers but I need a sound room to make a decision on any hardware upgrades. There is a lot of good equipment out there but I need something that meets my space and budget constraints.
In short, get Roon up and running in your environment, listen and enjoy your music, read the Roon Community pages then upgrade when you are ready. Ask lots of questions.

1 Like

One more thing…A dedicated computer for Roon is an expensive commitment. A Roon nucleus can only be used for one thing. I am stuck with a MAC Mini that has no other use for me in my home other than a Mahjong Game computer. Windows computers are inexpensive and easy to replace but are the easiest prey for spyware and viruses. I’m leaning to the Roon nucleus because it is more of an appliance than a computer. Less worry and hassle.

1 Like

As opposed to getting a NUC and loading Roon OS aka ROCK? It too is just an appliance as it is the only the OS that makes it so.

A Nucleus is a computer; I could load Windows on one if I chose to do so.

1 Like

Looks to me like the simplest thing starting out is to install the Windows version of roon on your Windows 10 PC and attach your streamer box to the same network via ethernet.

Then for the files, two options.

First, if your Wndows 7 notebook is on the same network and the drive where the music files reside is shared so your Wndows 10 can see them, just point roon library path to that. No new equipment, no changes other than a simple roon install. Disadvantage is that both PCs must be on when playing music.

Second option, get an external USB drive, copy your music files from the Win 7 notebook to that, then attach the external drive to your Win 10 PC and point roon library path to that. Advantage is local file access and eliminating the Win 7 notebook, unless you wanted to use it for a roon remote to control playback, etc. on the Win 10 roon core PC.

That’s one way to look at it. Rock is great if you know something about linux. You may be able to install Windows on a Nuc but that would be an expensive windows computer. We’re talking about a newbie getting started.

No need to know linux at all. Just the ability to follow the simple steps as outlined in a number of different How-To’s including Roon’s own FAQ. Basically, the ROCK image is downloaded and put onto a USB key, you boot the NUC with the key, it installs, copy over the codec, pretty much done.

Intel NUCs are made to run Windows not sure why that would be “an expensive windows computer”, as compared to…? Especially, if he has an old Win 7 computer, he can probably still use that old Win 7 license for a free Win 10 install on that new NUC; the upgrade still worked last I checked a couple of months ago. Certainly cheaper than the Windows desktop I use for my RoonCore.

And, yes, we are talking about a newbie, getting started; to whom I suggest, use what you have now, get used to Roon, and think about what your needs are/will be; and then, decide.

2 Likes

@Greg_McConnell -

If you choose to buy an Intel NUC and install ROCK on it, do not follow the ROCK installation step that advises updating the BIOS.

You probably don’t need to and doing so has the potential to open up a can of regrets and worms.
First, try it without the BIOS update step.

FWIW

2 Likes

I’m stated a Roon nucleus (which costs $2500). Are you saying if I’m not happy with it running Roon on a Roon nuc then I can use it as a Windows computer? If would just tell a newbie to get a Win laptop and declare victory.

To ask a Roon newbie to purchase an Intel Nuc to install Roon is the wrong advice. I still say it will be to complicated to expect someone who isn’t Linux savy to do it. I’m sure the official Roon instructions are clear to you and me but we live in a world of computer literacy. I know lots of people who would be left in a boat without an oar when it comes to configuring an intel nuc.

1 Like

Again, one doesn’t need to know any Linux to install ROCK on a NUC., which what @Rugby was stating.

Also, you’re conflating Roon’s Nucleus (the $2500 device you’re referring to) with an Intel NUC, which configured to run Roon, would cost about $500.

I don’t think anyone advised the OP to run out and buy a NUC. That was just given as an option, one of many. Roon will run fine on any WIN10 PC, at least for starts.

1 Like

I did not confuse the Roon Nuc and the Intel Nuc. There’s a big difference and my original reference was to the Roon Nuc. I stand corrected on the intel Nuc and Rock. When I researched a Roon server the intel Nuc was eliminated because I did not have a level of comfort with it.

I bought my Roon Nucleus on Black Friday directly from Roon for $1119. Well worth every penny to me.

1 Like

Geez! Why make it so confusing?

Just try Roon on the notebook or PC you’ve already got. See if it can find the files and read them correctly. Then plug the CXN V2 into the network, and see if you can play from the Roon core machine to it. Then you can figure out what to buy. Meanwhile you can use what you already have.

Just to relate: I started out building a custom Linux PC for Roon. Then I had to tinker with it, so I moved Roon Core temporarily to my Synology 918+ NAS. And I wound up never moving it back after I buttoned up the PC again. 1400 albums, 18,000 tracks. Works fine.

3 Likes

That is not what I said.

I advised to not purchase anything and to use existing hardware if possible.

2 Likes