NFS path on QNAP to Linux

yeah it’s getting late.

I’ve got some ideas for tomorrow to try out.

1. are you sure it’s ‘administrator’ with lower case ‘a’? Linux is case sensitive
  2. are you really sure about the mount path? See point 4
  3. could you change ‘nfs’ with ‘nfs4’
  4. could you show us your exports file (/etc/exports) from your NAS

It’d be slower, when using *nix OS’ you’re much better off using NFS.

@dpstjp

Let me see if I’ve understood your setup:

• Ubuntu on a NUC running Roon Server
  • tunes on a QNAP with NFS share enabled
  • attempting to mount qnap tunes folder via NUC?

If y to above, run

showmount -e QNAPIPADDRESS to ensure the tunes export is visible.

if it isn’t check QNAP settings to enable NFS share

if it is:

sudo mount QNAPIPADDRESS:/path_to_share /mnt/Roon

I don’t believe that “fast” in an issue when it comes to Roon accessing Music files on a NAS…the Roon database will be on the NUC’s SSD [and RAM]…and Roon’s speed will be derived from those components

While your point is valid in general use, “fast” for music files isn’t typically an issue…but there are more than a few documented cases on here, with people having their Music Library / number of albums increase and decrease at random, when using “mounted” or mapped drives

Hence the Roon guy’s recommendation to use the Network folder option in Settings - Storage, [rather than the Local folder], when actually using network storage

http://kb.roonlabs.com/Adding_Folders_Using_Path

I very much doubt you’d pick up the issues you refer to using nfs to mount a network share and pointing Roon to the mount point as a local folder.

1 Like

And yet that is EXACTLY what has happened to a number of Alpha testers and regular users…who have used the “Local Folder” to point at mounted or mapped drives

Would appreciate if you could point me to the relevant threads, not seen it in Alpha or Linux, but then perhaps I wasn’t paying attention. The KB article makes no mention of NFS and I suspect that’s more a result of the article being aimed at Windows and OSX users and both OS’ defaulting to SMB rather than there being an issue using NFS mounts in Linux.

Makes no sense at all that Roon would have problems with a NFS mount as that’s exactly what NFS was designed to do…mount network shares…and hundreds of programs the world over have no issues accessing data mounted using NFS.

Showmount gives the following:
/Web
/Sooloos
/Roon

Etc

When I try and mount using “sudo mount 192.168.1.2:/share/Roon /mnt/Roon” I get access denied by server.

I’ll post a screen shot of the QNAP settings.

Next I need to get the NUC to boot direct without login. Typically the option to auto login is not available when I open the user account settings. I can set it for no password but still need to click on the user name to log in. Not much use if I’m running this headless.

Arch Linux refused to install, by the way, which is why I ended up with Ubuntu. I kept getting a multimedia controller error with Arch Linux at the very beginning of the install.

Showmount is returning /Roon - try that instead of /share/Roon

Not had much of a chance to sort out the remaining issues. Work intervenes.

I do have to say that the switch from MacMini (a quick one at that) to Linux-based NUC (admittedly over specced) has made a significant difference in speed. I’d say it was about three times quicker. Whereas a previous search would take approx 15 seconds the current set up now takes about 5 seconds. Impressive.

So the mount works now?

You shouldn’t have to log in at all for Roon Server to fire up after installing it using the Easy Install scripts.

Mount doesn’t work yet. I just pointed the RoonServer to the Samba share. My copy of the old database did not work, I’m not sure why but it’s not a deal breaker.

Yes, I don’t need to log in at all. It just runs.

Thank you all for your help. I may be back!