No Audio Devices Found - Manage Audio Devices Intermittent

Roon Core Machine

iMac Catalina 10.15.7 3.2 i5 32gb ram

Connected Audio Devices

Just using System Output playing from my iMac at work

Number of Tracks in Library

6,000 Tracks

Description of Issue

I stream my Tidal library from Roon, no local files. It streams fine for a while and then gets to a new song and gives error “No Audio Devices Found - Manage Audio Devices” This only remains for 3-5 seconds and goes away and I can hit play again and it will play again for while and eventually repeat this.
Can I please get help with this.

A good contender is if the core PC is working hard at something else.

Eg I just imported a lot of files , while Roon was chewing them I got that error quite often. Once the core was idling everything back to normal

No Wifi, wired gigabit network.

Sorry just realised that and edited

It is my work Mac for design but I don’t get the sense it’s CPU related. I sure it’s possible. I used same Mac with version 1.7 and 1.8 and this really didn’t show up until about version 2.0(recently). Our network is older but would that be a reason to lose connection to my System Output? I don’t know

Since Roon 2.0 there is an “internet always on” requirement so a network blip may cause it to lose track.

I got an error today telling me my internet was down. I had just started up from scratch and the router was still “thinking”

Hi @Michael_Jones1,

I’d like to take a look at this with you. Can you please try to reproduce the issue and get back to me with a date/time and maybe even the track you were playing? I’d like to see what the diagnostics look like on this to further assist.

Thanks,
Wes

Wes thanks for getting back to me on this.
So I can still reproduce this daily. I goto my tracks(6000) and shuffle play. It plays for awhile and gives error “No Audio Devices Found - Manage Audio Devices” like I described originally.

Here’s the timestamps Pacific and songs from today 10/26/22
10:09 Rock Me Amedeus -Falco
12:44 These Dreams -Heart
1:27 Gospel -The National

These are all the songs it stops on - meaning a song is played before, it finishes song, gives error and then goes to songs listed above but at a stop state. Until I hit play again.

Hi @Michael_Jones1,

Thank you for providing the requested information. First off, I’m listening to Falco now because your post had it running through my head! :smile: I also had a chance to see Heart in Oklahoma City with Willie Nelson opening. Such a great show!

When I look at diagnostics for these tracks I see timeouts on the tracks themselves, timeouts on album data, and timeouts in general. Like Mike mentioned, using your Mac core for other uses outside of Roon while playing tracks can cause this. We can try a few things though. I highly recommend looking at your Network System Preferences for any firewalls and AV items as a possible culprit by temporarily disabling them. In one day alone there are 442 instances of timeout:true for various network actions.

We can also wipe your Mac clean of Roon and try that route if the above doesn’t in any way shed light. It’s in the instructions but I will say it again. Please back up your database before you do this. It will absolutely destroy your settings, preferences, tags, playlists, etc. I would also encourage you to try and duplicate the issue before you reload your databases. While I don’t suspect the DB to be a problem, the process of elimination is important.

FYI - When the steps below are completed you will need to re-enable your system output zone.

Please let me know your outcome.

Here are the steps:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon” and “RAATServer”
  • Rename “Roon” to “Roon_old” and “RAATServer” to “RAATServer_old”
  • Reinstall Roon from our Downloads Page

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.