No Audio Devices Found on MacOS 10.12.6 / 10.13.6 due to RAATServer crashing [Ticket In]

I have had one response ( Cannot see DAC on Mac 10.12.6, Build 904 - #31 ) but its not looking good as to whether it will get resolved given the time elapsed and the fact as pointed out above we are running an OS version behind the advised minimum requirements.

@William_Ellis Sorry should i have read your earlier post.

Roon Core Machine

IOS 10.13.6 MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Why can’t my laptop system output audio be discovered in Room. It was previously available

It’s definitely the latest Roon version 1.8(build 913). So I need to uninstall and re-install?

I un-installed/re-installed and it still doesn’t show up

Hi @Terence_Saw,

Just following up on my colleague @Yaohan’s response earlier. We apologize for the troubles you’re having. This is a known issue that we’re currently working on a solution to. This emerged from a recent build and effects machines that are running on Mac OS that don’t meet our system recommendations of 10.14+.

Please follow this thread for further updates. If you’re unable to use Roon entirely and you have another MacOS machine running 10.14 or later (or a Windows machine) you can migrate your Core to that and restore Roon immediately.

Hi,

I updated my iMac (roon core) from 10.13.6 to 10.15.7 and it still doesn’t work. So, your system rec doesn’t sound encouraging.

Hi @Enzo

Is your missing endpoint physically connected to a machine that is on a MacOS that is under 10.14? If so, that’s your issue.

Hi, thank you for the response.

The roon core (the one that I can’t access the audio outputs) is on an iMac (10.15.7) that is also the where the dac to the main system is physically connected (usb-denafrips aes conveter - dac on active speaker), and library HDD. It’s connected to the network via WiFi. I have another iMac also WiFi (10.13.6, because it supports standalone Lightroom - very important). That’s the “control terminal” for the system.
It doesn’t see the the core’s audio sources and won’t find roon OS from the Setup page.
And neither do any of my roon iPad/iPhone remotes.
All up to date.

Nothing in my system had changed (i did update the roon core’s OS to the latest supported following forum advice). It worked beautifully till the 903 and subsequent builds.

Just to be clear, what you’re saying is, it’s the remote iMac (10.13.6) that’s pulling down my system, including access from the remote iPhone/iPads?

All your control/remotes and core need to be on the same IP address range. Core should as recommended by Aron be on a Lan point connection and not WiFi.

In hopes of fixing this problem, I just upgraded my Mac Mini where the Roon Core resides to OS 10.14.6. That is also the computer that is connected to my sound system. However, I still have the same issue where the core does not show up as an audio device. The other computers I use to control Roon Core are able to see the following audio devices:

Laptop running 10.12.6: Does not see the core or itself. Does see a Chromecast enabled tv.

iPhone 13 Pro running 15.3.1: Does not see the core. Does see itself and the Chromecast tv.

Laptop running 10.13.6: Does not see the core. Does see itself and the Chromecast tv.

Hoping to get this resolved asap. Roon has been nonoperational for 22 days now. Thanks.

1 Like

Everything has been peachy for nearly two years with no variation in my system config. The only change was the update to Build 904+ which broke roon.
You seem to be suggesting that from Build 904+ (404?), roon doesn’t support WiFi?

Hey @Enzo

From looking at your system diagnostics you’re running Roon Server, not Roon (all in one). (Edited: previous wording Roon Core was a poor choice as Roon Server is Roon Core) Let’s start by getting your Roon Server machine wired to ethernet. As a rule we strongly suggest a wired LAN connection for Roon/Roon Server. How did you migrate Roon Server to that machine?

Where are you looking when you’re unable to see these devices? The Audio page, the zone picker or both? Can you post a screenshot please? You won’t see Roon OS unless you’re using Nucleus or ROCK. That part is normal behavior.

The underspec Mac on 10.13.6 shouldn’t interfere with normal functioning of your iPad/iPhone remotes. Can you tell us what you’re experiencing on those devices? Is the behavior the same, you’re unable to see devices?

Hey @DeathRobot

Can you post some screenshots of what you’re seeing on your problematic devices? I’m particularly interested in what you’re seeing on your iPhone. Thanks!

Here’s a screenshot from the iPhone:

Here’s from the laptop running 10.12.6:

Jamie,
I upgraded to iOS Monterey 12.3 and my laptop system output still doesn’t appear as a device on Roon.

Hi All,

Our latest release (Build 918) contained some improvements in this area, for those impacted by this issue, can you please confirm if build 918 has helped your audio devices appear again? You can check to see which build you are on in Roon Settings → About.

1 Like

Sadly I continue to have the same issue after updating to 918 and restarting. Neither of my 2 RoonReady DACs are available.

The console is reporting the following every 7 secs from ‘libsystem_network_dylib’:
“nw_path_close_fd Failed to close guarded necp fd 8 [9: Bad file descriptor]”

Thanks for your continuing support.

Updated to 918, restarted all computers, logged out and logged back in. Same issue - no audio devices found.

Hi @DeathRobot & @DeathRobot ,

Sorry to hear that the update did not help, I’ve re-enabled logging for your affected Mac devices, can you please use them for at least a few minutes and then :heart: this post to know to check for the logs after you’ve done so? Thank you.

2 Likes