No Audio Devices showing after new Intel Display Audio Drivers

My Setup
Server: Roon 1.6 Build 390 64 bit on Win 10 Pro
Remote (with issue): Roon 1.6 Build 390 64 bit on Win 10 Pro (1809)
Remote (With Issue) Asus Z390 LGA 1151 mini-ITX gaming i7-8700 16Gb m.2 Samsung970 500gb

Under Settings / Audio the remote PC shows no Audio Devices connected to this PC after Roon is running for a few minutes, This PC does not appear.

I can resolve this issue by removing Intel Display Audio Drivers (v10.26.0.5). If I reinstall the current driver the problem reoccurs (Also reoccurs if I apply ASUS’s current Intel Chipset Divers 10.1.16.5)

The firewall is ok (I’ve tested with it disabled)

The PC’s sound works OK with all other software.

When first running Roon after a reboot and entering Settings / Audio, This PC appears with it’s devices. System Output Shows enabling, then after a few seconds all the devices under This PC disappear.

As I say, I can resolve by removing the Intel Display Audio Drivers, but that means I loose other functionality outside of Roon.

Thanks for any Help

Do the affected machines have inbuilt intel graphics? There have been problems with them.

Yes, but most if not all current and recent Intel chipsets do.

Thanks for the detailed report @Mark_Harforth – we’ll try to get to the bottom of this.

So with the new drivers, you lose audio devices on both of these machines, correct? And the Core is a third machine?

And you’ve tested with Firewalls off on all machines, is that right?

What audio devices are you using for these Remote machines?

Give us those details, and we’ll enable diagnostics and take a closer look at what’s going on here.

Thanks @Mark_Harforth!

Thanks Mike.

"Remote (with issue): Roon 1.6 Build 390 64 bit on Win 10 Pro (1809)
_Remote (With Issue) Asus Z390 LGA 1151 mini-ITX gaming i7-8700 16Gb m.2 Samsung970 500gb"

This is just one device. All other devices work normally (inc PC’s).

I have only tried disabling firewall on this one PC that has the issue. This one PC with the issue should have Realtek Digital Output, Realtek Speakers and Intel Display Audio.

As mentioned, these devices show up momentarily after a reboot of the PC with the issue, with System Output Device saying Enabling. After a few seconds of “Enabling” that section of Audio - Connected to this PC changes to just a white Panel with nothing listed.

Hi @Mark_Harforth,

Thank you for the info here.

I’d like to enable diagnostics on your account. May I ask that you please reproduce the issue once more and let me know that time that the devices disappear in Settings > Audio? Please also confirm the name of the Windows device that is experiencing this behavior and I will make sure we enable diagnostics for that specific device.

Thanks Dylan, the device is called Cabin.

I have just started Roon and the Settings / Audio devices disappeared at 09:54 UK.

I appreciate you will want me to repeat the fail scenario after your read this message and enable diagnostic logging, so just let me know.

Thanks

Hi @Mark_Harforth,

Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Any news on this?

Hi @Mark_Harforth,

Please accept our apologies for the delay here. I met with the team regarding this and discussed their analysis of the diagnostics report. Based on what they’ve seen here it appears that there are driver issues at play that are causing this.

Can you confirm whether or not you have the Asus drivers installed on this machine? In the past we have seen these drivers cause issues like what you’re seeing. Can you try uninstalling the Asus drivers and instead using the default Windows drivers and see if there is any change?

Sorry to butt in. I had problems with the realtek audio drivers creating this sort of problem and replaced the realtek with the Intel HD audio driver which made the audio outputs start working properly.