Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Intel NUC8 / latest available build
Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Happens on Wifi & Ethernet connection
Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Description Of Issue
I get the situation where Roon sees the LSX and I can start playback. The speakers turn on and the playback timeline starts rolling in Roon. But there is no sound coming out of the speakers. The only thing that solves it is to restart the Roon Server Software on the NUC. Afterwards it works for a while.
Makes no difference when turning the speakers on with the remote. Tried all other sources on the LSX and they work fine.
I am using the LSX on my Roon setup which I initially setup for my Linn SELEKT and the SELEKT/ Roon combination works fine currently.
Can you provide some additional details about the network hardware you’re using here and what devices they’re connected to specifically?
- Does this only occur with the KEF endpoints? Do others work okay?
- Have the KEF Speakers been updated to the newest firmware version using the KEF Control App?
- Does this occur for all content you play to the KEFs?
Thanks for providing that additional info. Can you also let us know:
What is the model/manufacturer of your router & any switches/range extenders/powerline adapters in use?
Does this behavior occur for both local and streaming content in Roon? Or just one and not the other?
Does this issue affect higher-sample rates only or does it happen regardless of the sample rate?
How is the NUC connected in this setup, is this also via Ethernet?
I haven’t had the time in the last weeks, but today wanted to play to the KEFs via ROON again.
The behavior changed a bit. It did play right from the first try, but then I noticed the volume in Roon was not in sync with the changes I made via the remote control. And now after having played for 15 Minutes or so, “Roon lost control of the audio device” is shown. Roon still works fine with my other system, which I am playing almost every day.
Adding to the above: funny thing is, when I turn the KEFs off and press the play button in Roon, the start up but then Roon again says “lost control of the audio device”.
Below the answers to your question, if those still apply to the changed situation.
- What is the model/manufacturer of your router & any switches/range extenders/powerline adapters in use?
Fritzbox 7590 with no other devices in between
- Does this behavior occur for both local and streaming content in Roon? Or just one and not the other?
- Does this issue affect higher-sample rates only or does it happen regardless of the sample rate?
I am playing hardly anything else than CD/ MQA via Tidal - so cannot say it is related to sample rat
- How is the NUC connected in this setup, is this also via Ethernet?
Yes, via Ethernet.
Thank you for providing that information, I have a few follow-up suggestions/questions:
- You mentioned that you are using a Fritzbox router here, is it up to date on the newest firmware? We have seen some router configuration settings help with Fritzbox in the past and we mention this on our Networking Best Practices Guide. Can you give this a try and let me know if it helps?
The FRITZ OS 7 update includes a feature called “Software Packet Acceleration” that can cause issues with remote connectivity. We recommend disabling this setting from the FRITZ GUI.
Can you let me know the exact local time + date when you next experience this issue? E.g. 4:49PM on 7/15/19? I would like to take a look at diagnostics to see if there are any clues as to why the behavior occurs.
In the past, I have seen that factory resetting KEF speakers sometimes help with similar symptoms. Can you please try to factory reset them and let me know if it changes anything?
If you by any chance have another PC around the house which you can use to temporarily host the Roon Core on, can you let me know if the behavior is still the same? This will help narrow down if we should look closer at the Core or the network setup.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.