No Audio Output Device Available for Playback

Hi There @support

macOS Mojave. Macbook Pro, 16gb Ram, 2tb ssd, 2.9GHz Intel Core i7, Roon version 1.6 (build 416) stable (64bit).

I am currently struggling to select a built in output device on my mac. The audio window in the settings just appears blank often. I have found this is triggered by either having WIFI turned off on my Mac or not being connected to the internet. Unfortunately at the moment I can’t use Roon unless I am connected to the internet which is a problem. I don’t understand how the internet should affect my built in output sources such as my headphone port. And the heading ‘Connected to this Mac’ is influenced / doesn’t appear if not connected to internet.

Help would be much appreciated.

Best Regards.

Isaac.

Hi @Isaac_Hamilton,

Thanks for sharing the screenshot, it is helpful. I would expect to see a similar page when there is an active firewall blocking RAATServer from performing the device discovery. What I would do here is double check that both Roon and RAATServer have been added as exceptions to your OSX firewall (you can use these instructions to check) and also that they have been added to any other application firewalls you may have (McAFee/Bullguard/Little Snitch/ect.)

Hi @noris

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I have checked my firewall settings and there was nothing preventing them from running.

I don’t have any other firewall installed as far as I am aware.

Having 3x Roon / RAATServer seems suspicious. I checked mine and it’s only there 1x. I would propose to remove all. Next time Roon starts, it will request to allow incoming connections again.

Hi @Isaac_Hamilton,

I would also expect to see just one Roon/RAATServer listed there. I would remove them and re-add as Bart suggests.

Hi @noris and thanks @Nepherte.

How would I go about doing that ?

@noris

I have managed to do it but still when I have wifi turned off or not connected to the internet nothing appears in the audio output window. I have also since removed the 3 'Roon’s underneath and now have 1. The issue is still there

Hi @Isaac_Hamilton,

Just to clarify here - when Roon is in this state, the audio devices don’t show up at all? Even after a few minutes of waiting? Can I please ask you to perform a test here?

1. Have an active internet connection with everything working properly
  2. Disconnect the internet and note the exact local time + date in your country when the network was disconnected (e.g. 12:04PM on 8/15/19)
  3. Reboot Roon and see if that changes anything with regards to the zones showing up
  4. Manually send me a copy of your logs from the Core by using these instructions

Hi @Isaac_Hamilton,

Thanks again for sending those log files over, I have forwarded them to QA for analysis as I noted in my message to you. Just so we have all the required ticket information, can you please also let me know the model/manufacturer of all your networking gear and what audio devices you use in your setup? Thanks!

Hi @noris

Very simple aha, I just use the built in headphone jack out straight into my Roksan amp at the moment.

Thanks Again.

Isaac

1 Like

Hi @Isaac_Hamilton,

Thanks for letting me know that information. If you can please let me know your network setup info when you have a chance (model/manufacturer of your router/switches/ect.) it will be good to have in the case notes as well in case this behavior is specific to your network setup. Thanks!

Hi @Isaac_Hamilton,

Just following up here based on your recent PM. I discussed your issue with QA again and they have asked if you can please let us know your network setup info as requested and perform the following test:

1. Get in this state with no devices appearing and internet turned off
  2. Close Roon
  3. Reboot the machine
  4. Open Roon
  5. Open the audio tab and post a screenshot

Does anything change once you are already in this state and the machine + roon app is rebooted with the network still turned off?

Hi @noris

My network setup is Netgear Nighthawk R7000. Connect to my Mac via WIFI.

And here is the screenshot of the test just run. Nothing has changed as far as I am aware. Still no local outputs show up.

Just a thought, one thing I have noticed is when I perform a backup of my roon database the time it shows on roon of backup is 1 hour ahead of my actual local time of backup. Could this of affected the use of the logs I sent you as the time that I sent you regarding the logs may of been an hour out ? I have attached a screenshot with an example of a backup time which shows the time as 15:54:40 when in fact at the top right the time was actually 14:54:40. If this is unrelated or you know why this is this is fine.

Thanks

Hi @Isaac_Hamilton,

The backup time is being displayed in UTC and it is a known issue we are working on. No, it should not affect your log analysis.

Thanks for letting me know that information, I have passed it on to the QA team who is attempting to reproduce your findings, I will be sure to let you know once I have more info to share.

1 Like

Hi @noris

Thats great thank you :slight_smile:

Isaac

Hi @Isaac_Hamilton,

I know it’s been a while since we last spoke, but I wanted to touch base with some good news, which is that our technical team has been able to reproduce this behavior and we’ve opened up a bug report with our developers.

While I can’t say for certain when this bug will be fixed, getting things reproduced in-house is a critical first step, and I will keep this thread up to date as the team passes along feedback and work begins to get this resolved. Thanks again for the report!

Hi @noris

Thats great news. Thanks for getting back to me.

I understand that, and hopefully it is sooner rather than later as it will make Roon a lot more usable but I understand you have many things to work on.

Best Regards

1 Like

Hi @noris

Do you have any update on this issue as it still is here after numerous updates released?

I really hope this will be resolved soon as it really hampers my usage of Roon which as you can understand is quite irritating. For e.g If I am travelling on a train or anywhere not on my wifi network I am unable to listen to my music through headphones. I understand for the majority of users they use the music library solely at home with there Hi-Fi system but I also listen to my music a lot outside of my house or network ( I am a musician ) aha. I have to with to another music player at the moment as obviously I can’t select any audio output device.

Thanks.

Isaac.

Hi @Isaac_Hamilton,

I took a look at our internal tracker today, and I can see that your ticket is still in our development queue.

This means our developers are still planning to look at this, but we don’t yet have a timeframe for when that’s going to happen.

Once the ticket has been scheduled and work begins, I’ll have a better sense of timing here. Thanks in advance for your patience!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.