No audio through Apogee Element 24 optical out

This is my current setup

iMAC running macOS Big Sur

Apogee Element 24 sound card

Chord 2Qute DAC

Now, the system output in my iMAC has been set up with Optical 1 and Optical 2 outputs in order to route the system sound through the optical S/PDIF interface of the Apogee Element 24.

This setup is fully working for instance with Audirvana, letting me play Qobuz/Tidal and local files through the Element 24 S/PDIF audio used in exclusive mode.

Now, with Roon I’m not able to play audio through the S/PDIF IF of the ELEMENT 24.

I’ve tried and checked all the possible settings but I can’t come out from this issue.

I don’t want and I can’t use the USB interface of the DAC (the iMAC is 10m far from the DAC and USB has a worse sound quality wrt optical when connected to an iMAC).

Could you please help?

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

iMAC, Apogee Element 24, Chord 2Qute DAC

Description Of Issue

No way to have audio output when System Output is selected and Apogee Element 24 as Optical IF towards Chord 2Qute DAC. This setup is working fine with Audirvana instead

Hi @Daniele_Silva,

Welcome to the forum! Can you please share a screenshot of your Roon Settings -> Audio tab and a screenshot of your Mac Audio MIDI Setup?

Hi Noris,
here are the screenshots

1 Like

I’ve tried to “play” with all the available settings and “knobs”, but without success.

1 Like

Hi @Daniele_Silva,

Thanks for those screenshots! Are you by any chance using the aggregate device feature in Audio Midi? It doesn’t look like you are, but I just want to confirm here, thanks!

Hi Noris, I confirm you that I’m not using any aggregate device feature in the audio-midi configuration. (Btw tried also that, but without success)

Thanks

Hi Noris,
any progress on that?

Many thanks

BR,
Daniele

Hi @Daniele_Silva,

Apologies for the delay! @noris is having some internet issues today, but I know he’s looking into this with our QA team and we’ll be sure to follow up as soon as we can. Thanks, and apologies again.

Hi @Daniele_Silva,

Thanks for your patience here! I spoke to the team regarding your case and we would kindly like to take a look at the Roon logs from your Core after you try to reproduce the issue.

Can we please ask that you try to use the System Output + Apogee zone, let us know the exact local time + date + track you tried to play? Afterwards we can activate diagnostics mode for your Roon Core.

Hi Noris,
just done 12.42 Italy time (22/12/2020)

Track: Bruce Springsteen, Chasing wild horses

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks for the information @Daniele_Silva! I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis. Once that’s been received, I’ll request our team to review the logs.

Hello @Daniele_Silva,

Thank you for your efforts, we’ve successfully reproduced the behavior described in your post.

We’ve filled a ticket with the development team for further investigation.

-John

Many thanks.
Please keep me updated.

BR,
Daniele

Hello,
any news/progress?

Many thanks

BR,
Daniele

Hi @Daniele_Silva,

I took a look at our internal tracker today, and I can see that your ticket is still in our development queue.

This means our developers are still planning to look at this, but we don’t yet have a timeframe for when that’s going to happen.

Once the ticket has been scheduled and work begins, I’ll have a better sense of timing here. Thanks in advance for your patience!

Ok, thanks. Let’s hope to solve it soon. This will be a decision maker for me in keeping alive the subscription or not.

Many thanks

BR,
Daniele Silva

1 Like

Hi, any news?

The issue is still present also with 1.8 latest build (764).

Thanks

BR,
Daniele Silva

Hello @Daniele_Silva ,

Your ticket is still in the development queue, but it hasn’t reached the front yet. I’ve updated the notes to reflect that the issue is still ongoing, thanks in advance for your patience while this ticket makes it’s way through the queue!

Thanks Noris.

BR,
Daniele