No audio zones or music available

It appears I am having a similar problem with the same symptoms, . Also running windows, but win10 home. Everything was working fine Monday, I was away yesterday and today I have no audio devices, no music. Rebooting remotes and core does not do anything. This machine is headless, and is dedicated to Roon FWIW. I am also logged in to it and can surf so networking seems fine.

I have not logged out, changed accounts or done anything else.

Here are the updates that have run over the last 48 hours.

44%20PM

43%20PM

Hi @Rob_Rodier ---- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation you have made with us. The insight is appreciated and sorry to hear of the troubles. I have went ahead and split your post out to it’s own thread so we can address this behavior with you directly.

Moving forward, may I very kindly ask you to confirm if you have any active firewalls or antivirus applications currently running on the device hosting your Roon core. If you do, please temporarily disable these functions and verify if this action yields a change in behavior with Roon.

-Eric

Thanks, I have disabled the various win f/w (public, domain, private) as well as AV with no change in behavior. I did notice that the Roon remote (macos) is throwing a networking error when it is launched. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for giving the proposed test a shot for me and sharing the results @Rob_Rodier , the continued insight is very appreciated!

Continuing forward, would you kindly try rebooting not only your core machine but also any affected Roon remotes as well as any relevant networking hardware (i.e router, switches, etc)? Any changes in behavior?

-Eric

Hi @eric, I have completed all of your suggestions but unfortunately have not had any luck.

FWIW, I have noticed some different behavior on this machine as it relates to boot up which is new. Up until now, I had it configured to automatically login using command netplwiz and was never prompted for a login. Now there was a duplicate user created somehow, and even after deleting that- it is still forcing me to log in. This is new this week.

Additionally, it looks like there is a user in there related to Roon which I have never noticed before. (which i haven’t touched other than to grab this screen shot) Not sure if this is meaningful or not, hopefully this info helps more than hurts.

BTW, my roon account is associated with a different email address than what you see here. If you need it, I can PM it to you. thx

Hello @Rob_Rodier,

Thank you for providing that additional information to us. I think the next step here would be to enable diagnostic mode on your account to see if the logs are showing anything useful in them. I will start a PM thread shortly between you, me and Eric and please let us know the email address associated with your account so that we can take a closer look at what could be going on here.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Rob_Rodier,

I can confirm that we have successfully received the needed diagnostic information from your machine and I have started a case for you with our QA team. I appreciate your patience while we take a look at what could be going on and I will be sure to update you once I have more information to share.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

Hi @Rob_Rodier ------ Thank you again for your patience while our technical team has been looking into this issue for you.

I spoke with our team today regarding their evaluation of the logs from your install. Sometimes, errors like the one you saw can be spurious, but unfortunately in this case they are seeing signs of low level corruption in your database.

This type of error is extremely rare for us and not one that we see often. Our database infrastructure is designed specifically to prevent this type of corruption, and we don’t take this class of issue lightly.

We’ve traced a few reports like this in the past to hard drive integrity issues but generally speaking, this means that Roon is reading information from your hard drive that is different from what was originally written, and the database is now unable to load properly.

What’s Next?

If you’ve been making regular backups, my advice would be to install Roon fresh on your Core machine, and roll back to one of your backups. If the database loads properly, your edits, playlists, tags, etc should be intact, and we can confirm everything is performing properly once it’s been restored.

If you do not have any backups, unfortunately you will need to start with a fresh database.

Again, this class of issue is extremely rare for us and you have our apologies for the trouble here.

Thanks,
Noris