No BitPerfect with Mark Levinson 585

Roon Core Machine

Windows 10 / Fujitsu Lifebook / Intel i5-7200U / 8GB RAM
Music stored on a Synology NAS DS218

Networking Gear & Setup Details

From NAS to PC via LAN
From PC to AMP via USB (1m)

Connected Audio Devices

Mark Levinson 585 integrated amp with build-in DAC, connected via USB with the PC

Number of Tracks in Library

30.000 tracks

Description of Issue

Hi,
I have a problem getting bit-perfect audio in my setup. DSD is bitperfect, as well as 44.1kHz/16bit FLAC files. But when I play 96kHz/24bit FLAC files, they are being converted into 96kHz/16bit files.

Roon 24b 16b

I am using ASIO.

(I also tried WASAPI, but here I do not get DSD files working without conversion to PCM).
Any clue what is going wrong?
Thanks!

Have you downloaded and installed newest ML585 firmware and Win 10 driver?

To add to what Marin suggested. Look to see if there is an ASIO settings application. Sometimes, ASIO can be locked to a specific bit depth. In the past, I have gotten around issues when my device drivers do not have it’s own settings app, by using Jriver, like I describe in this older post.

2 Likes

Hi Marin. Yes, I have the latest firmware and driver installed. And according to the spec, the DAC should be able to handle up to 32bits.

Hello Rugby. I re-installed the ML driver and changed the device settings using JRiver to 32bit. And now it’s working. Thanks!
Strange world… It takes JRiver to get Roon working well, and it takes Roon to recognize that I was not using BitPerfect playback in JRiver. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.