No Bose compatibility?

(Alex Zoghlin) #1

Love the idea of Roon, but have several Bose soundtouch devices through my home. Frankly, surprised they are not on the list. I know they play nice with others.They have a well documented API (https://developer.bose.com/bose-soundtouch-api). I’d be willing to do some work if I could also become a Roon developer, just not sure if you allow third party integrations.

(Harrison M) #2

Bose just basically trashed their Soundtouch codebase and started fresh with their new Smart speaker lineup. It makes little sense at this point to develop for SoundTouch as it’s a legacy platform and their new Smart lineup consists of a couple of Subs, two soundbars and a single smart speaker. They need to deliver more product and continue to make their API strong. It just feels like Bose’s heart isn’t in it.

(Alex Zoghlin) #3

Thank you for the reply.

By “trashed” to you mean updated? I also have a 700 series soundbar, and it uses the same API. They recently updated the firmware with airplay 2 comparability, and in the notes said that airplay 2 was coming to all of their older soundtouch devices as well. Not sure how this is trashed. What I like about the API is allows more discrete control - you can change outputs, and control the screen to say anything you want, it’s not just a streaming transport. The soundbar now works with airplay 2, and I suppose if Roon ever implements airplay 2, that will be a route to integration.

Again, I’d be happy to make an extension, just don’t know if Roon allows this.

(Harrison M) #4

Trashed is a poor choice of words. A “rethinking” is more like it. The Soundbar 700 is a great update to the 300 series. What I mean is that the changes in software at least are significant enough that Bose will not allow us SoundTouch users to move to the new SB700/500/Smart Speaker and manage our legacy SoundTouch speakers and new stuff in a single app. I haven’t been on the forums to see if they’ve discussed this in more detail but it’s been a bone of contention for owners that do not want to leverage two mobile apps for control. That being said I’m all for Roon access if feasible.