No connection from Nuc 8i7 core to Pioneer N50ae via usb

I’m running my roon core on an Nuc 8i7BEH with 16 GB ram and 500 GB SSD. OS is ROCK 1.0 build 174, server version is 1.6 built 401.

The music library is stored on an buffalo linkstation nas. Network runs via devolo power line, router is Arris Touchstone 3442 cable.

I tried a couple of different setups for roon. Currently I have the nuc 8i7 connected via lan to the router. Music is found on the nas and streamed smoothly to the outputs. I can use my pioneer n50ae via chromecast just fine. The nuprime udsd connected via usb to my toshiba laptop works just fine, too.

My only problem is, that roon can’t find the usb-dac of the pioneer n50ae. This is connected via audioquest usb-cable direktly to an usb-port of the nuc 8i7. When the usb-input is selected on the Pioneer, I can’t see it in roon (see screenshot).

I just see the chromecast input. This is fine for the moment, but high-resolution audio files won’t be played in the native resolution due to the limitations of chromecast.

When the chromecast input is selected on the pioneer, the view in the roon audio setup changes and I can see a couple of inputs from the nuc (see screenshot).

I just can’t connect the pioneer via usb to the nuc 8i7/ROCK and I am running out of ideas.

Btw. When I connect my toshiba laptop via usb to the pioneer n50ae, it apears on roon and plays smoothly, so I think it might be a driver problem on the rock… or anything else.

Any help apreciated…
Thank you,
Greets
Andi

According to the user manual you need a driver to use it with usb connection to a PC so windows/Mac only I think.

Switch the Pioneer to the USB-Input. Then it should be shown in roon as an output.
Otherwise you can connect the Pioneer to a Raspberry, ODROID, Allo… and configure it as a RoonBridge.
Maybe you have to activate the USB Output in the BIOS of your NUC.

Thanks for your replies.

I thought, the pioneer should work with a linux based streamer without the need to install extra drivers. Maybe that is not the case. I’ll try to figure that out.

I did switch the pioneer to the usb-input and made sure, it is activated. But still nothing in roon. But I’ll check the bios, didn’t think of that before. Thanks.

I ran into a similar problem using a NUC7i7BNH connected via USB to a DAC. When the NUC was loaded with ROCK, it would not recognize the DAC. When I upgraded to a full version of Ubuntu with Roon Server loaded on it, everything worked fine. This experience gave me the impression that NUC’s running ROCK are probably more trouble free when used via Ethernet connections or access USB connections to storage or other devices using a common USB driver. This same setup worked fine when I would switch out the NUC/ROCK device and plug in a Windows 10 laptop instead. So it was definitely the NUC/ROCK that could not access the DAC via USB.

1 Like

Thanks, Darryl. That sounds exactly like my problem. Anyway, there’s little improvement here. I reinstalled ROCK on the Nuc from scratch and connected the dac new. And roon did find it! Problem is now, that roon recognizes the device two times, one for each pcm and dsd. When I activate both, I end up with the problem mentioned above. But as long as I just activate the pcm output, everything works just fine. I have just a handfull dsd-files, so no real problem there. I let roon resample my dsd-files to 384 khz pcm. Not sure, I would hear a difference to the native file. :wink:
So, not the perfect solution, but it will work for now.

Thanks for your support, guys!

1 Like

Hi @Statler2205,

Can you please post a screenshot of your two PCM and DSD outputs? I have not seen this kind of split before and I am curious to see how it looks like on Roon’s end since typically USB devices just appear once in the Audio Tab.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @noris,
shure, no problem. Here is the screenshot. You can clearly see the two usb-dac outputs Pionneer 50AE.

However, it is my interpretation, that one output is pcm and one is dsd. As the one output activated right now supports only pcm, I think it is a valid guess.

Greets
Andi

Hi @Statler2205,

Thanks for providing those screenshots. I just confirmed with the hardware team that this is to be expected in some cases. It appears strange to me but I guess it is nothing to worry about.

Either way, glad to hear that the issue is resolved after a ROCK reinstall and thanks again for contacting us regarding the initial issue. Hope you have a continued great Roon experience!

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like