No Connection to remotes after switching to other location

2 years ago I set up a NUC8i5BEH running Windows10 and Roon… In the near future he will migrate to ROCK because Windows will no longer be needed but not yet.

Now my moved from Germany to South Africa. The only device that has been changed is the internet router (was: AVM FritzBox; is: Nokia G-240W-J).

We cannot establish a stable connection between the core (hardwired to the router) and the remotes (iPhones and iPads running iOS16, iPadOS16). when you start connecting a new remote, the Core appears briefly and then disappears “forever”

Some after uninstalling and reinstalling Roon. First time conneting a new remote device, the core appears briefly, then disappears and never appears again.

Audio and connection to the endpoint are stable when we use Roon directly at the core, but we cannot establish a conncetion to the remotes.

Any ideas?

Hi,
Firewall on router maybe? I would check the ips for all of them. Can you connect from a computer on the ethernet?
Hope someone having better ideas is going to respond.

I did not consider IPs or firewalls yet, because the core briefly shows up and then disappears. My assumption is, if there was a problem with IPs or the firewall, the core would not show up at all!?

I would assume the same. But not having a better idea.
I would try a fixed ip for the nuc

Hi @itzlbritzl
Did you assign a static ip to the NUC back then?
That could be the cause.

Yes… the IP was static… The current router config in unknown to me, since I am not on-site. Will check remotely later today… Like I said: I did not consider IP as a cause because I assumed, even if dynamic IPs could be a problem in general, would this setting result in that particular way (core briefly showing up and then never again)?

1 Like

It may actually be because a static IP assigned in your old router may conflict with your new routers DHCP address range. This would cause the same address to be given to two clients, resulting in one of them becoming unreachable on the network and thus unusable.
Therefore, if you move again or change routers, you’re safe if you switch from static ip to DHCP via the web interface before disconnecting. :wink:

You can still try to find out the current ip of the NUC via your router’s web ui and then see if you can open the web interface like this, here’s a guide:

If you could try that first, and after that, we can proceed.

1 Like

This is nearly universally a bad idea unless you know precisely what you are doing, why you are doing it, why exactly a device needs a static IP, and are diligent with managing your IPs if anything changes.

Dynamic IPs on the LAN, autoconfigured by the router’s DHCP service, are nearly always better.

(As explained by @Axel_Lesch)

Just for the sake of argument and understanding: the old router is out of the picture… Roon core and remotes have been de-installed (both application data AND user data) and re-installed. How can there be a conflict between old and new router settings?

Please have a look, if the web interface cannot be opened with the nuc’s ip, here is what do do next:

I basically understand what you are saying… But the question at hand is: wouldn’t the network settings have to be deleted already since I completely deinstalled and reinstalled the core, all application data and user data!?

If you didn’t make a factory reset of the nuc, no.

But try first if you can open the web interface.

Something else could also have gone wrong.

2 Likes

I would like so but I do not think so, there are settings saved in multiple locations. Depends on the app I guess

Previously did you set fixed ip manually in the windows network settings or via the old router. If the former then this ip address is likely a different range than your new router manages or is conflicting with another device on the network that’s been assigned the same address by the new routers DHCP server.

You should never hard set any device to use static ip via its network settings unless your managing all addresses manually and not using DHCP and have a firm understanding of what you are doing as it often results in what you are seeing when you move networks and gear.

You should use DHCP and manage fixed or reserved ip addresses from the router side and not on the devices most routers have an option to reserve or fixed a current DHCP assigned ip, this method is stable and stops any conflicts.

2 Likes

I was able to remotely check the NUC’s IP. But I cannot get access to RoonOS web when I use said IP in the browser. Just as a sidenote: the Nokia router has the worst GUI I have even seen on any device like that in my whole life and even though I am logged in as admin, many setting cannot be changed.

DHCP, UPnP and DLNA are active in the new router at new location.

Since it is impossible to reliably reproduce the old settings of the old router in the old location and considering that killing Windows on the NUC and installing ROCK is planned anyway it would probably be the most pragmatic way forward to just reset the NUC and install ROCK right away.

1 Like

Is the above still the case? If so you should be able to change back to DHCP on the core machine if it is still running Windows, correct?

Yes, the NUC still runs Windows.

DHCP on new router is active.

So you should be able to connect a monitor and keyboard etc to the NUC and change it to use DHCP from within Windows…
Unless we are missing something…

2 Likes

RoonOS web is for Rock only your on windows ignore that as it’s not relevant. Hook it up to a monitor go into windows network settings set it to dhcp reboot and your done.

3 Likes