NO DSD function is available when connecting the UpTone Audio ISO Regen & USPCB A>B Adapter [Resolved]

Hi ROON support team,

I would like to share the following issue:

1. When connecting the UpTone Audio ISO Regen & USPCB A>B Adapter I have no DSD selection tap available under the DSP engine sample rate conversion.

Please see below:

1. When removing the UpTone Audio ISO Regen & USPCB A>B Adapter the DSD selection tap appears under the DSP engine sample rate conversion.

Please see below:

1. I have tried a trial version of Audirvana Plus rev. 3.1.5 to understand if the issue is software or hardware related. I discovered that DSD upsampling with the connected ISO Regen & USPCB A>B Adapter was possible.

Please see below:

1. I then installed a trial version of the HQPlayerDesjtop3 and I was able to upsample to DSD with ROON over the HQPlayerDesjtop3 as a network player.

Please see below:

Could the issue be fixed with an upcoming ROON update?

Thanks!

Andreas

My setup:

MacMini late 2012 (OSX 10.12.6) with Roon (version 1.3 262) and powered with the JS-2 (set to 12 volt) and MMK —> USB cable —> ISO Regen (powered by the JS-2 set to 7volt) —> USPCB —> Questyle CMA600i (DAC & -pre-amp) —> XLR cables —> Trigon Dwarf 2 (mono amps) —> B&W CM6s2 (speakers)

adding @support

Have you tried toggling the isolation switch on the Regen, and the switch on the USPCB, i.e. total 4 combinations? See if these settings make a difference.

Hi Peter,

Yes I tried the isolating switch and with and without the USPCA A>B adapter but the DSD tap would not appear.

I also contacted Alex from Uptone Audio - very helpful - and he checked my USB connection and everything looks fine.

please see below:
the ISO Regen is the hub above the xCORE

Hi ROON support team,

Any suggestions regarding my above mentioned issue?

Thanks!

Andreas

Hi @Andreas_Hahn ---- Thank you for the feedback and my sincere apologies for the wait here.

Moving forward, I have enabled some additional diagnostics on your account while we look into this. With this in mind, may I very kindly ask you to please perform the following:

1. Please reproduce the “failure” and note the time when it occurs.

“When connecting the UpTone Audio ISO Regen & USPCB A>B Adapter I have no DSD selection tap available under the DSP engine sample rate conversion.”

1. Please reproduce a “successful” playback (i.e DSD is available) and note the time.

“When removing the UpTone Audio ISO Regen & USPCB A>B Adapter the DSD selection tap appears under the DSP engine sample rate conversion.”

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your reply. I will have a look at this over the weekend as I am not at home at the moment. However could you please clarify what you mean with ‘Please reproduce the “failure” and note the time when it occurs.’ note the time?

Opening the ROON application with the ISO Regen & USPCB A>B Adapter connected the DSD tap is not available.
Only if I remove the ISO Regen the DSD tap appears from the selection box (while running or restarting ROON).

Thanks!

Andreas

Thanks for touching base with me @Andreas_Hahn, apologies for any confusion in my instructions. Please allow me to clarify a bit better :innocent:

I am looking for two different time stamps from this log gathering exercise:

Time stamp #1 = I want to know the time frame when the “DSD tap” is unavailable in Roon, when you have the ISO Regen & USPCB A>B Adapter connected.

Time stamp #2 = I want to know the time frame when the “DSD tap” is available after you have removed the ISO regen.

-Eric

Hi Eric

I hope that I understood you correctly.

1. Time stamp #1 - 28 Oct 2017 12:22pm
    opening ROON with the ISO Regen & USPCB A>B Adapter connected - no time can be taken as the DSD-tap under the Sample Rate Conversion is not there / available at all times - please see below screen prints:

1. Time stamp #2 - 28 Oct 2017 12:27pm
    disconnecting the the ISO Regen & USPCB A>B Adapter —> closing ROON —> opening —> ROON —> checking the Preferences —> Audio —> xCORE USB Audio 2.0 —> DSP Engine —> Sample Rate Conversion the DSD tap is not available (please see screen prints below) but previously the DSD tap was available (please see screen prints above first post section 2)

1. It appears now that the DSD upsampling function is no longer available with or without the ISO Regen & USPCB A>B Adapter connected.

1. Time stamp #3 - 28 Oct 2017 12:31pm
    However, the DSD tap appears (with or without the ISO Regen & USPCB A>B Adapter ) when using the HQPlayer 3 as a network player - please see screen prints below.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks!

Andreas

Hi Eric,

I think everything is working now --> DSD upsampling (DSD selection tap available under the Sample Rate Conversion menu) with or without the ISO Regen & USPCB A>B Adapter - please see screen prints below:

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 7.54.03 am:

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 7.54.39 am

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 7.54.45 am

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 7.59.41 am

Thanks!!!

Cheers,

Andreas

Hi @Andreas_Hahn ----- Thank you for your patience as I’ve been out of office for a few days, apologies for the delay.

In your initial report you had observed that the “DSD tap” was only being made available when the ISO Regen + USPCB A>B Adapter were removed from the chain of communication and now after some experimenting, the option for “DSD” is now available no matter what, which wasn’t the case during the second timestamp exercise. During that time period the only way “DSD” was mad available was via the use of HQPlayer.

So this behavior does appear to be sporadic without a doubt. Can you think of any action you may have performed that triggered this change? I am happy that things are functioning as they should be, but would like to see if we can verify what the exact trigger for this change in behavior was.

-Eric

Hi Eric and Peter,

Apologies for the late reply but I had to attend some important issues around the house which took up all my time.
However, please see below the steps I took to solve the problem with the ISO Regen:

• clean install of OS - macOS High Sierra (from USB through recovery mode)

43 am

• install of ROON including backup library from Dropbox

• setting up audio gear in ROON:

1. Device Setup --> Playback --> Use Exclusive Mode to enable DSD conversion
    xCORE USB Audio 2.0 (Questyle CMA600i with ISO Regen & USPCB A>B Adapter connected)

1. DSP Engine --> Sample Rate Conversion --> DSD tap available --> DSD Sample Rate --> selecting desired / supported rate

1. Enjoying the music with DSD upsampling enabled!!!

• It appears that the previous issue was sporadic and the clean install ‘fixed’ the problem.

I hope my feedback is helpful.

Cheers,

Andreas - a very happy ROON customer

2 Likes