No DSD512 Sound with my iDSD micro

Hello and thanks for your help :slight_smile:

I have Parallelize Sigma Delta Modulation checked and the speed indication is at about 1.5 to 2.5.

So maybe iā€™m not getting DSD512 cause of the performance of the CPU?

Have you checked with the iDSD support and @allo.com maybe if there could be a kernel issue or a Linux connectivity issue? I have a DSD dac that will go at 256 on windows but only 128 on Mac or Linux.

The allo guys might ask for some cli commands to see what alsa is doing etc tooā€¦hope you know how to ssh.

From what Iā€™ve been told 1.5 should be enough.

Youā€™re not using Allo board, right? I have iDSD itā€™s supported under macOS, without drivers.

What is the color of DSD512?

Also, it just occurred to me Iā€™ve been here before. See if this helps -

Iā€™ve talked to iFi support in the past. They are very responsive.

I asked then about your problem and they told me that iFi Windows drivers are good for DSD512, but macOS drivers are only good for DSD256.

So, there it is.:sunglasses:

1 Like

That could really be the problem. Iā€™ve used HQPlayer for a short test to see if it depends on the Roon upsampling. And with HQPlayer ist totally worked fine but i had dropouts every few seconds.

So maybe itā€™s really the shared USB/Ethernet Port of the Raspberry Pi?

I think about to switch over to an Allo USBridge but i wonā€™t believe that this is really improving my audioquality.

Again, it isnā€™t the Pi, or not the Pi alone. And it isnā€™t solely clock speed, although your CPU is too slow.

The main problem, per iFi tech support, is that DSD512 is not supported under macOS. Nothing you can do, short of buying an Intel NUC and running Windows, will give DSD512 from your core machine.

:sunglasses:

Correct me if iā€™m wrong but It doesnā€™t matter if the iDSD support DSD512 on MacOS because the data comes from the RoonBridge (Pi) and not from the Macbook.

If i connect the iDSD directly to the MacBook Pro then you are right and iā€™m even not able to select DSD512.

OK, hereā€™s the correction. The upsampling is happening on your core machine. The bridge running on the Pi is just receiving the converted data from the core, no upsampling happens on the bridge side. There wouldnā€™t be enough CPU on a Pi for that kind of processing. Now I understand your confusion and focus on whatā€™s happening on the Pi, but itā€™s the core machine, the Mac, thatā€™s the problem.

:sunglasses: