No Local Audio Device Options Available in Roon After Update (ref#W184SN)

What’s happening?

· I'm having trouble with my DAC, speakers, streamer, etc.

What best describes the issue with your audio device?

· My device used to show up in Settings > Audio, now it's gone

Describe the issue

I’ve just updated Roon and Roon Server to the latest versions today:

Roon version 2 (build 1382) Production (64-bit) on Windows 11
Roon server version 2 (build 1382) production on Linux machine.

Initially I had to re-enable my DAC (Topping DX3 Pro+), selected Exclusive Mode WASAPI and it worked as expected.

I then logged into a different WiFi access point here at home for better signal.
The playback stopped as it reconnected to a different WiFi but when I went back to Roon, the Topping again was not in the Audio Zone list.

Back to setting, Audio but now I see only the Server audio options as well as a Wiim and a couple of other connected devices around the house.

All the device options on my local machine have vanished.
I’ve restarted Roon, my laptop, the Topping…to no avail.

So, I cannot use Roon at all since the update.

Describe your network setup

I’ve just updated Roon and Roon Server to the latest versions today:

Roon version 2 (build 1382) Production (64-bit) on Windows 11
Roon server version 2 (build 1382) production on Linux machine.

Initially I had to re-enable my DAC (Topping DX3 Pro+), selected Exclusive Mode WASAPI and it worked as expected.

I then logged into a different WiFi access point here at home for better signal.
The playback stopped as it reconnected to a different WiFi but when I went back to Roon, the Topping again was not in the Audio Zone list.

Back to setting, Audio but now I see only the Server audio options as well as a Wiim and a couple of other connected devices around the house.

All the device options on my local machine have vanished.
I’ve restarted Roon, my laptop, the Topping…to no avail.

So, I cannot use Roon at all since the update.

I had exactly the same issue on March 07. Roon is completely unusable for me now. The 'solution' offered by Connor did not work and I never said that it did.

I'll have to set both Roon Remote and Roon Server to "ask before installing any updates" as this is just ridiculous. The software updates and it's unusable.

These aren’t the latest versions. Current is build 1413.

Actually I have the latest build, updated a few days ago. I had copied the text from a previous ticket in March with identical problem. Forgot to change the details.

At least this way we have learned that it’s a repeat occurrence. Might be significant. Maybe it’s time to try what was suggested back then:

1 Like

Hi @Suedkiez,
I did try what was suggested in March but it didn’t work. I can’t change the RAATServer folder name on Ubuntu, even after changing to ‘root’.

I did change the RAATServer folder name on my Windows machine that’s running the front end. I then restored from a backup. Windows did create a new RAATServer folder once I rebooted Roon but that didn’t help.

After spending a few hourse trying to solve it today, I gave up and uninstalled Roon from my Windows machine. I reinstalled it, signed into Roon server on my network and pointed the library to my NAS drive, as before. This worked and Roon is now back up and running.

But there is clearly an issue here. When I have my server setup and my library in good order, I expect it to just work. I don’t want to have to do anything more than update and maybe occasionally reboot. For the price of the annual subscription, that’s not too much to ask, I think.

I don’t have a very large local library, only around 3k tracks so reinstalling isn’t too onerous. But I presume some people on here have vastly bigger libraries, so reinstalling each time there’s an issue isn’t really viable.

I’m very wary about allowing any updates now, as I don’t want to go through this every time there’s an update. I just want to open Roon and listen to sweet tunes :slight_smile:

Something does seem off but sufficiently weird that @Connor will have to take another look.

Hi @Barry_Mulkerns,

RAATServer on the Windows machine will be engaging with local hardware connected to that Roon Remote. It sounds like updates, either from Roon or Windows itself, are flagging that process in Windows Defender.

If you haven’t already, whitelist RAATServer.exe in Windows Defender along with Roon’s other processes.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.