No Local Audio Devices found on WIndows 10 Pro Remote

Roon Core_ headless QNAP TVS-671. New device only running Roon core and holding music files. Wired Gb to network. 16GB RAM, 2 x ssd drives for core - 250 GB, 4 x WD Gold drive for music - 8TB). V1.2B165 64bit Stable

Roon Remote: MS Surface Pro Windows 10 Pro, 16GB RAM, 500GB ssd. V1.2B168 64bit Stable.

DAC: FiiO USB

Windows Firewall OFF

ISSUE: there are NO local audio devices listed in Roon Settings / Audio. None, nada - do not ask anything about zones, config because there is nothing to config. No Windows local soundcard, audio device etc.

Audio device AND DAC work within Windows. I can play audio from local drive, browsers, various steaming services. ALL WIndows audio capabilities are 100% fine - no issues.

Fixes tried:

• complete re-installation of Roon remote. Uninstalled programs AND setting/databases - both one at a time and then together.

• complete re-install of Roon Core, including re-formatting ALL drives.

• at each step, all devices were rebooted.

• disconnecting from remote, reboot remote, re-connect core

• both disable and remove watched folders in remote - with remote reboots in between.

• With all the above, have tried with Surface Pro connected both wireless and hard wired to network.

• I have tried several dozen combinations of things

• I have read every post on Community site related to hardware

Nothing I have done with get Roon Remote to show any local audio devices.
I am 50+ years old and consider myself an audiophile
I own a computer company (support) - I have forgotten more about networks and computers than most people know - that is - I REALLY have tried to figure this out before posting ha ha.

I hate to ask, but I need a wee bit of assistance …

Cheers
Kirby

@support

Hi @Kirby_Marshall ----- Thank you for the report and my apologies for the troubles here. May I kindly ask you to please provide the following information to help aide in my evaluation of this problem. See below.

1. Please describe your network configuration/topology as well as providing insight into any networking hardware you may be implementing in your setup. Having the names and models of these devices would be greatly appreciated :sunglasses: I want to get a sense of how your devices are communicating and what gear you are using to make those connection possible.

2. Have you always had this issue while using Roon? If not, can you think of any changes that have been made to your setup recently? OS updates? Firmware / driver updates?

3. Have you tried testing with another remote device that is NOT making use of Wifi?

-Eric

1. Please describe your network configuration/topology as well as providing insight into any networking hardware you may be implementing in your setup. Having the names and models of these devices would be greatly appreciated I want to get a sense of how your devices are communicating and what gear you are using to make those connection possible.

[Kirby] I provided most device most names/models and topology in initial post – I guess there is a bit more information I can provide (router/switch). The only piece I did not list was switch – that may be an issue – because I had Roon Remote PC hard wired. IE No router in play.

1. Have you always had this issue while using Roon? If not, can you think of any changes that have been made to your setup recently? OS updates? Firmware / driver updates?

[Kirby] Yes, from very beginning.

1. Have you tried testing with another remote device that is NOT making use of Wifi?

[Kirby] Yes – as stated in initial post, I tried with Roon Remote PC hardwired to switch. Thus both Remote and Server on switch. This is as simple of a network topology as can be had.

1 Like

The switch may indeed be the issue. Any chance you’re using Cisco managed switches (SG200 / SG300)?

This all seems very familiar to me as I beat my head against the wall with a UPnP server running on a QNAP that was simply invisible on the network. Turns out that the QNAP and the switch were getting into a fight regarding multicast packets and the switch was winning by simply dropping them.

Roon/RAAT uses multicast to find audio endpoints and I wonder if these packets are getting dropped in a similar way in your setup.

If you are using a managed switch then the easiest way to test would be to substitute an unmanaged switch and see if it works. Otherwise check the configurations of the (network) devices on your network (including those which aren’t seemingly in play here) and disable any reference to IGMP snooping / multicast routing / UPnP.

It’s also worth checking your QNAP to ensure that jumbo frames are disabled. This shouldn’t make a difference for device discovery, but has been known to cause some strangeness in similar configurations.

2 Likes

Hi @Kirby_Marshall ---- Checking in here to see if here to see how things were going and if you considered the advice offered by @AMP. I can confirm that we have seen users run into problems while using managed switches. Let me know.

Thanks!
-Eric

Hi - installed Roon Remote on a wired Windows PC - works 100%. Going back to square one with the original Surface Book Windows PC. K

There was a Windows 10 update last week that screwed up the Wireless DHCP and so I wondering if you can still surf the Internet. If not, then your network could be down.

Just a thought.
M.D.

smile Yes indeed - no problem surfing internet on the Roon problematic PC. Out of hundreds and apps and processes, only one does not work - Roon. K

QNAP: disabled uPNP.
Router: disabled uPNP, IGMP Snooping
No reference to multicast in router
No reference top jumbo frames in QNAP.
Switch is not managed.

No joy. K

Hi @Kirby_Marshall ---- Thank you for the follow up and the feedback. I would like to gather a set of logs from your Surface Pro so our developers can have a closer look at what is going here. I will be contacting you momentarily via PM with instructions.

-Eric

Eric - the Surface Book is a domain joined computer - not sure if that may impact issues. The other Windows 10 desktop I successfully tried was not domain joined … K

Hi Kirby,

That sounds like it could make a difference. If the Domain Controller restricts TCP or UDP ports or multicast then that could well be the reason for non-discovery.

1 Like

Yep, this is likely your problem. IIRC the default domain security policy doesn’t allow for user changes to the member computer’s firewall settings (and a host of other settings). You can adjust the domain’s security policy to allow client control over the firewall and if this is your home domain and you administer it then that should be straightforward.

1 Like