No more music via Bluesound and Airplay after RoonServer installation

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Windows 10 (i5-4690K, 8GB) build 571

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Netgear Nighthawk Pro XR500 -> Netgeat XE7700 -> Netgear GS108e(1) -> PC (core)
-> Denon AVR2113
-> Netgear GS208 -> NAD C388 (with Bluesound module 2i)
-> Netgear GS108e(2) -> Synology DS416j
everything is wired (cat6)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
NAD C388 with Bluesound (wired)
Denon AVR2113 with Airplay (wired)
Apple Homepod with Airplay (wireless)
Windows PC (wired)
Synology DS416j music storage (wired)

Description Of Issue
I’m in the testing phase for I have multiple different audio sources and would like to have one app to control everything. So for now I’m using a trial account and not all my audio is connected yet, but I have listed the once that are.

This morning I downloaded RoonServer because I keep closing the Roon app. I messed it up because I installed it before reading the how to. So I removed it again, renamed the folder and installed it a second time.
Now my library is complete and it automatically got my Tidal account, but it will not find my NAD C388 and it will not play audio via Airplay. When I do select my Denon AVR2113 and play a song the receiver gets swithed on and switched to netwerk modus, but there is no music. In Roon the equalizer bars move, but the song remains at 0:00 (this is the same with the Homepod). On the Denon the display is empty and the volume is set to -6dB (very loud, can’t be changed with Roon). This happens with my own music as well as with music from Tidal.
I can however play music on my PC just fine. All audio systems also work fine other than with Roon.

It used to work before I started using RoonServer.
However I also switched the NAD C388 this weekend (borrowed a NAD C368) and I am not sure if I tried Roon on it or only used the Bluesound app before I switched to RoonServer this morning.

Please help me out, for this is kinda decisive if I switch to a paid account (and my trial is running out :slightly_frowning_face: ). Thanks in advance.

Hi @Dr.Pasta,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for reaching out! Based on your symptoms, it sounds like you might have an issue with your Windows firewall.

Since you are using a Windows PC, I would verify that RoonServer.exe, Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe have been added as exceptions to your Windows firewall.

You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the executables themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path.

I would also add these exceptions to any Antivirus or other Firewall blocking applications you may have and ensure that you connected to your network via a Private network, not a Public one, see this guide for more information.

Let me know if this helps!

Sorry, It was indeed an easy fix.
I had already checked if an exemption was made for Roon.exe, but forgot to look for RoonServer.exe.

Thanks a lot

2 Likes

Hi @Dr.Pasta,

Happy to hear I could help! Do let us know if you run into any other issues and we can certainly take a look!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.