No sound on Mac remote/core

Hi, I’m running Roon on an iMac (OS 10.13.6). One user account runs Roon Core, another user account is running Roon remote connected to the core running on the localhost. I can’t get any sound on any of my “Connected to this Mac” devices when attempting to play from remote on the same computer - System Output, Built-in Output or a Meridian Explorer USB DAC. Playback appears to work (time advances on the track) but no sound is heard via any of the outputs. Is there a limitation when using the same host as both a core and remote?

Thanks,
Marc

Hi @tastydonuts ---- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation you have made with us. The feedback is appreciated!

Moving forward, just to make sure I am understanding your configuration correctly :innocent: It sounds like you have “RoonServer” running on the iMac as well as “Roon” which is acting as a remote on the same device. Is this correct?

If I have understood the above correctly, to answer your question, yes this is a supported Roon configuration :+1: Additionally, may I very kindly ask you to please verify if you are running any firewalls or antivirus applications on the mentioned iMac? If you are please temporarily disable these functions and confirm if this action yields a change in behavior with playback .

-Eric

Hi Eric - that’s correct, I’m running the Server on the iMac, and the remote on the same computer logged in from a different user. There are no firewalls or antivirus applications and it’s able to connect fine to the server instance. I suspect I’m having a problem specific to the audio configuration.

Thanks,
Marc

Hi @tastydonuts — Thank you for the follow up and providing the requested feedback. Very appreciated!

Continuing forward, I must apologies as there was a detail of your setup that I misunderstood:

… I’m running the Server on the iMac, and the remote on the same computer logged in from a different user.

In order to run Roon successfully with the configuration you have in place, you must be logged into the account on the iMac where Roon was installed. Furthermore if you would like to run Roon remote parallel to RoonServer on the same computer it must also be installed on the same account as well.

-Eric

Hi Eric - ah ok, that makes sense. I didn’t put 2 and 2 together that there was no problem when logged into the same account. It would be great if it worked without that limitation, but I can imagine how that could require a lot of extra coding work for a marginal use case. I plan to move to ROCK eventually anyway.

Thanks!
Marc

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.