No sound or albums since upgrade to macOS Catalina

Core Machine:
2018 6 core Mac Mini macOS 10.15.1 RoonServer 1.6 Build 475, wi-Fi turned OFF on Mac Mini
Local Music files: External USB drive attached to Core via iTunes / new Music app
Streaming: Tidal

Control: Machine 1:
late 2016 15" MacBook Pro, macOS 10.15.1 RoonServer 1.6 Build 475, Wi-Fi

Control Machine 2:
iPhone XS Max iOS 13.2 Roon 1.6 Build 438, Wi-Fi

Network Details:
ISP provided router Huawei HG658, Ethernet to Roon Core. Zero problems with general networking and internet (45 Mbps down, 18 Mbps up).

Audio Devices:
Weiss DAC202 direct connection to Core by FireWire using Thunderbold dongles

Description Of Issue
I delayed upgrading to MacOS Catalina until Roon released the new build claimed to fix the external storage issue. After upgrading, I have not been able to reliably listen to music via Roon due to multiple problems.

Tidal “Network Problems” error message. This error message comes and goes with Core re-boots.
Albums are sometimes visible (both local and Tidal) and sometimes not.
When albums are visible in Album View, going to Artist View results in a spinning “waiting icon”
In Album Library View, sometimes a local album is displayed but clicking on it results in an error message “This album was not found”
Settings / Storage sometimes has an error message “iTunes Library XML not found in /Users/…”
In Album Library View, some Tidal albums will show tracks etc but will not play. Error message. “This track is not currently available from Tidal”. Sometimes (not often) Tidal tracks will play.
I have rebooted the Core several times.

Hi @Sunrise,

Thanks for reaching out. Can I please ask you to use these instructions to send me a copy of your Roon Logs folder? The best way to get them over to me would be via a shared Dropbox / Google Drive link.

Thanks for your reply @noris
I have shared the Logs file vis Dropbox.
I did it twice, the first time I did not shut Roon down before zipping the folder.
The correct one is called Sunrise_Try2_Nov2019Logs.zip

Hi @Sunrise,

Where have you posted these logs? Can you please select share via link in Dropbox and then post the link here or sent it to me via private message (click my name -> message)?

Hi @Sunrise,

I appreciate your patience while the technical team has had a chance to review diagnostics. It appears that you are getting a “too many open files” error in your logs, but it is not clear what is causing this.

I suggest that you create a Backup and reinstall the Roon app to see if it helps with this behavior, you can set aside your old database by using these instructions:

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder

Please try using a fresh database and a few local files first. If this works as expected, you can restore your library from the backup you have created (or from an older backup) and check to see if the issue persists.

Hi @noris ,
I reinstalled Roon as per your instructions. Roon took more than a day to show and play my local and Tidal music, but all is working now thanks. Roon 1.7 id great.

Jeff

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

@noris I recently had an issue which seemed to be resolved but now music will not play again.

Core Machine:

2018 6 core Mac Mini macOS 10.15.1 RoonServer 1.7 Build 505, wi-Fi turned OFF on Mac Mini

Local Music files: External USB drive attached to Core via new macOS Music app

Streaming: Tidal

Control: Machine 1:

late 2016 15" MacBook Pro, macOS 10.15.1 RoonServer 1.7 Build 505, Wi-Fi

Control Machine 2:

iPhone XS Max iOS 13.2.3 Roon 1.7 Build 505, Wi-Fi

Network Details:

ISP provided router Huawei HG658, Ethernet to Roon Core. Zero problems with general networking and internet (45 Mbps down, 18 Mbps up).

Audio Devices:

Weiss DAC202 direct connection to Core by FireWire using Thunderbolt dongles

Description Of Issue

I recently had an issue which seemed to be resolved but now music will not play again. Since upgrading to Roon 1.7, the “busy” spinning icon at the top right of every screen has been continuously spinning (for 6 days).

Roon can not access my local iTune files. Settings / Storage has an error message “iTunes Library XML can not be found in users… I have macOS Music now not iTunes. Occasionally, Roon shows my local content on the Artist screen but when I click on an album it can’t be found.

Roon also can not play Tidal tracks. Albums appear on the Albums View but when I click on an album it can’t be found.

Hi @Sunrise,

Did you start with a fresh database or have you restored the old one after our last troubleshooting? Do you mind sending me a copy of your Roon logs by using these instructions? The best way to get them over to me is via Dropbox / Google Drive. Thanks!

14Dec2019 Roon Log Dropbox link:

@noris I initially started by creating a folder with 4 albums & got Roon to watch this folder. It worked OK.
I then restored the database from backup.

Hi @Sunrise,

Thank you for sending those logs over. Can you please navigate to the following path in your Roon Database Location and let us know how large this file is?

RoonFolder/Database/Core/USERID/broker_2.db/
According to logs, the actual path on your end should be:

You can click on this broker_2.db folder and press File -> Get Info in MacOS to see the file size.

@noris
broker_2.db is 5.66 Gb with 3,292 items
The path to the folder broker_2.db wasn’t exactly as you documented. For me it was:
Library/RoonServer/Database/Core/96e84fa2e68a4493be51f3e77c502cb8/broker_2.db/

Hi @Sunrise,

Thank you for letting me know that broker_2.db size. Based on the traces I noticed in your log files, I would like to gather your database and request that the QA team reviews it.

Can I please ask that you use these instructions to send me your database files?

@noris
The zipped DB file link is:

Further issues:
When I tried Roon today, I rebooted my 2018 Mac Mini and I actually heard music including Tidal tracks in a playlist.
When I navigated to Settings / TIDAL, the Tidal Track I was playing suddenly stopped and I got the following error message: “Error Loading page. Please check your Network Connection”
In Settings / Services, a spinning circle sometimes is shown beside the TIDAL service.
I can play Tidal perfectly on the macOS Tidal app.
I can stream 4K YouTube video to my TV seamlessly. Internet speed 41 Mbps down / 14 Mbps up.

Hi @Sunrise,

Thanks for sending the files over but it appears that you are missing a few, I only see .001 and .004 listed in the dropbox folder and .002/.003 are missing, can you see if you are able to locate them?

It sounds like the database is problematic and you should use a fresh database until QA is able to review it. Please send the rest of the files over, and then until the database is analyzed, you may want to use Roon in the “fresh” state by performing the Roon -> Roon_old rename again.

@noris

I zipped the folder again. Please discard the previous. All 4 files are attached. Problem was Dropbox storage limit.

I really hope the solution to my problem isn’t to start a new DB and lose all my favourites, play counts and MANY playlists. This would materially impact my enjoyment of music using Roon.

Hi @Sunrise,

Thank you for sending those files, I have forwarded it to QA for their investigation. Please leave the files uploaded there until I have confirmation from QA that they were able to download the database.

This investigation will take a bit of time to complete and will likely require input from the devs, meaning that it would only be resolved in the next Roon release at the earliest.

I can’t comment on when the next Roon release will be published (we only ship an update when it’s ready), so I suggest sticking with the new database you created until the investigation has been completed.

Thanks again for sending the database over and if there is any news of the investigation that I can share, I will be sure to let you know!

Hi @Sunrise,

QA is still investigating this issue, but I wanted to clarify one of my earlier points if I by any chance wasn’t clear:

By this I mean performing the Roon -> Roon_old change:

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder
  • Do not restore the old database, use the fresh one

If you have issues with a fresh database and your current tracks please do let me know. Thanks!

@noris
Thanks for the clarification.
I am using a new Database and it it performing perfectly with local and Tidal tracks.
In time, I really want my Playlists, Track counts and Favorites restored.
Jeff

1 Like