No sound when MQA decoder & renderer are active, while DSP is set to upsample everything to 192 kHz

Hi. I am new to Roon, coming from Audirvana Studio (which I respect, but it is buggy and the Remote is a pain).

I am getting no sound when I enable anything regarding MQA. I play Tidal out from core to JPlay driver, over Asio. I‘d also like to upsample every rate to 192k - the rest of my chain is well with it.
Audirvana can do this, fyi.

Thanks in advance.
Regards, Peter

Moved to support.
Would be helpful if you filled in the support template below. Also if you posted screenshot of your roon signal path.

Roon Core Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

1 Like

Roon Core Machine

Roon Core: Asus board, Hexacore i7, 16 GB DDR4, M.2 SSD, 3 LAN, OS MS Server 2012 R2 Essentials, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, JPlay 6 in dual PC setup (separate Audio PC).

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Audio PC: Low power Xeon, 16 GB & Server 2012 feeds Mutec MC-3+USB - total 8 of them downstream (seriously! You should hear it!), all 8 synched to Mutec Ref.10 SE Master Clock.

Number of Tracks in Library

No Tracks in Library, only Tidal and Qobuz.

Description of Issue

I understand Roon incorporates a software MQA decoder and renderer to the first stage, 96/24. I’ve read then the output can still be upsampled by DSP to my preferred 192k.

Thanks in advance.
Regards, Peter

Update: It looks like I am hearing MQA - see screenshot. Do you confirm?
IMG_1113.jpg
No idea how I paste the picture here.

In “Words”:
Source Tidal FLAC 44.1kHz 24bit 2ch, MQA 44.1 kHz

Authentication MQA 44.1 kHz
MQA Core Decoder to 88.2 kHz 24bit
Bit depth conversion 24bit to 64bit Float
Sample Rate Conversion 88.2 kHz to 192 kHz
Bit Depth Conversion 64bit Float to 32bit
RoonCorePC RAAT

Looks like OK?

Looks correct to me but why are you upsampling MQA? I think this will break the rendering stage (assuming the DACs that are attached to (or built in to) your audio devices support rendering). MQA is going to get upsampled during each unfold anyway so I don’t know why you would need to do further upsampling.

1 Like

Roon. Can do the decode stage. It does not do the render stage. At this point no software does the render stage.

1 Like

Many thanks. That was only the bloody beginner’s question. Meanwhile I understand that the MQA Settings in Output regard the following DAC and not Roon Core.
I am fine now, muchas gracias. Why I upsample: The rest of my chain (The separate JPlay Audio PC, then 8 x Mutec MC-3+USB driven by Mutec Ref.10SE clock, Trinnov ST-2 HiFi Room Optimizer, Grimm CC-1 and finally T+A DAC8 sound best at 192 kHz.

Doesn’t the Trinnov ADC everything to 24/96 as part of it’s Room Optimization.