No Sound with HighRes or MQA Files

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Synology NAS Diskstation 918 / Roon 1.6 ( build 416) stable 64bit

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Wifi (Fritzbox 7590)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Chromecast, Digital connection to Primare SPA21

Description Of Issue

When I play HighRes or MQA Files to the Chromecast connected to the Primare SPA21 - I do not get sound. Playing those files to other chromecasts connected to other DACs it works fine.
The only difference I see in terms of network setup - the Primare Chromecast is connected with 2,4GHz - all other chromecasts are connected with 5GHz Wifi.
Also Files up to CD quality get played on the Primare. The Primare is a bit older (2004), the build in DAC is 24Bit/192kHz.
The device set up is default, so the Chromecast is set to no MQA Support and MQA Core Decoder is enabled.
Am I doing something wrong or is the Primare just not capable to play those higher res files?
Thanks and best regards

If I remember correctly Chromecast is limited to 96/24. Try cutting the hi-res output from 192/24 to 96/24.

Hi Robert, thanks for getting back. I think that should be handled by roon detecting the Chromecast as a device. I would not know how to cut the output manually. Also I tried High Res FLAC Files with 88.2kHz 24bit. On a Chromecast connected to a musical fidelity DAC it works fine with the same default settings, on the Chromecast connected to the Primare there is no sound.
best regards

Can you post a screen shot of the signal path when it is Playing to the Primare but no sound is coming out?

Just to clarify, you can play 16/44.1 to the Primare, but, if the next track is 24/96 you get no sound, but, Roon is still indicating the track is playing?

Hi Daniel,

yes - that is correct - roon is indicating the track is playing in both cases. Please find attached 3 screenshots. One with a 44.1kHz 16bit file - with sound / one with 88.2kHz 24bit with no sound / and one with an MQA File with no sound (MQA Core Decoder 96kHz 24bit)

best regards

I found this thread if it helps.

Hi @Sven_Mechler,

You mentioned that other Chromecast devices with other DACs are working. Just to rule out some variables, if you connect the Primare DAC to a Chromecast that is working, does the same behavior occur?

What happens if you connect to the Primare DAC to a remote device instead of a Chromecast and play to it that way?

Can you share a screenshot of Device Setup for the Primare zone?

Hi Dylan,

thanks for getting back - the problem does indeed seem to be the Primare DAC (maybe paying tribute to its age - it is not working properly anymore). Anyway, attached please find how the device is set up for the primare - but if that is correct - I think the DAC is broken somehow.

kind regards

You might try setting it to Fixed Volume or DSP volume and see if that makes a difference on the higher level files.

Thanks for the screenshot, @Sven_Mechler.

As Daniel suggested, using Fixed or DSP volume would be a good test. It would also be a good test to try connecting the DAC directly to a remote instead of using Chromecast, just so we can determine if this occurs in all configurations with this DAC.

Hello Daniel and Dylan, many thanks for getting back. I tried the volume settings - unfortunately it still wont play the higher level files. After doing some more testing and switching chromecast devices, I can say it is the build in DAC causing the problems. So I might get myself an external DAC for the Primare or something like the Aries Mini.
Thanks again for your help :slight_smile:
best regards


This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.