Node 2, awesome? Any limitations? Vs Allo DigiOne?

I’ve been using a DigiOne and a Node 2 simultaneously over the last months. I would rate them about equal in SQ using SPDIF out – both are good. They differ a bit – the Node is little flat, the DigiOne a bit overexcited in the highs in my system (Meridian DSP speakers via MiniDSP).

The Node 2 is probably the most fun audio box I’ve used – it’s like a Swiss army knife for digital audio:

• RoonReadiness is flawless
  • Clean source switching is nice: start, say, a Spotify or TuneIn Radio stream while Roon is playing and Roon is paused automatically
  • The analog/optical input can be set to auto sensing, so it auto switches as well – nice for adding the TV signal, or a Chromecast / Airport Express
  • Remote learning means it can work with any remote, offering volume and track controls (play/pause/previous/next) even when playing from Roon
  • The remote can also be set to five different presets (radio channels, playlists, etc.) – start your favourite radio station by pressing just one button
  • The headphone amp and analog section are way better than they ought the be for the price. I’m not a big HP listener, but the Node did not make me miss my Mojo
  • MQA from Tidal is nice (and will be available to Roon in time when Bluesound integrates the latest RoonReady SDK – it requires some extensive firmware changes outside Roon, but they have committed to the work, which is commendable)

That said – I’ve since replaced the Node with a Meridian MS200 streamer, which (again – in my system) offers silky smooth highs and better definition in the lows, while maintaining IR control and offering direct volume control of the speakers from within Roon (a Meridian thing). Yet I fondly remember the little black Node that could…

1 Like