Noise - ticks and pops on USB (Solved)

I am using Ropiee with display with a USB connection to my Hugo TT on the HD USB input. While listening over my Focal Utopia I can hear some clicks and pops during quiet passages. Sounds like the noise from a vinyl record. I have tried all the USB outputs and they all have the noise. I changed USB cables but no joy. I then used the SD USB input on the HUGO and could not hear the noise. Thinking there might be a problem with the HD input I ran a USB cable from my Macbook (ROON Core) to the HD USB input. Quiet!

I do not use DSP and listen mostly 24/96.

Any suggestions. I really like the Ropiee with the display and would like to continue using it.

Solved:

1. dual power supplies - noise
  2. Schiit WYRD - still a couple ticksā€¦ so probably a power issue or the shared usb ethernet thing
  3. Ordered ALLO Digi One, PI 3 B, 2.5 amp supply. This should solve the noise
  4. Moved the new WYRD to the Core USB connection
  5. Was going to abandon the PI 2, Screen, Ropieee, USB BUT I really liked the screen. Saw another post that gave me the idea to Group it with the Core USB zone. Voila the best of both worlds -Display, control, fabulous sound.
  6. A great learning experience and looking forward to the PI 3 Allo conversion findings

Thanks all for the great advice. PROG on.

I am not a total expert, but my experience is not to use the USB ports on the RasPi as they are described as ā€˜noisyā€™.

I donā€™t know your DAC, but a google picture shows a digital coax connection.

Research the Allo DigiOne or HifiBerry Digi+. These ā€œHATā€ boards go on the GPIO pins on the RasPi and produce a great digital signal for your DAC. These connect with digital coax connections.

These are both supported by RoPieee. I have both in different system in our house. My ear prefers the Allo DigiOne, but they are close. I have no clicks/pops/etc.

Maybe others here will chime in as well.

Thanks @Andrew_Callum. I didnā€™t realize the USB ports were inherently noisy. This may be a workaround. The coax input on the Hugo does up to 24 bit 384khz but not DSD or 32 bit. As I only have a few DSD that should not be a big issue. I will look into it.

S/PDIF coaxial is limited to 24 bit 192 kHz, not 384 kHz.

AJ

I had a similar issue with my Oppo HA-1/rpi3b+/ropiee setup. The wyrd solved it for me. Used a very short (6 inch) usb cable to wyrd and existing usb cable to dac.

Hi @Progisus

Is the Pi3 running on WiFi or ethernet? If Wifi, can you try ethernet?

Iā€™m guessing since youā€™re using Roon, thereā€™s no USB hard drive attached to the Pi3?

And what PSU are you using? Whatā€™s the current output rating? Over 2Amps or lower? Are you using a single PSU to power both Pi3 and Touchscreen? If yes, then is the PSU plugged into the screen or into the Pi3? If itā€™s plugged into the screen, try powering the Pi3 directly (which then powers the screen).

Hi @WiWavelength Thanks. I was just quoting the specs from the Hugo TT manual but it did make me check the Allo and it is of course limited to 192 khz.

Hi @dabassgoesboomboom

• the PI3 is running on ethernet
  • there is no hard drive only the DAC on the USB
  • I am using a 2.4a power supply BUT it is shared by the screen through a Y power adapter cable.
  • I will try later today to use separate power supplies for the Pi and the Screen.
  • I also have the power supply plugged into a Homeseer switch module so I can reboot it easily by disconnecting the power. I will also remove that to see if there is a difference.

Thanks for the advice.

1 Like

Iā€™m hoping this is the one that sorts it.

Which soundcard did you select in Ropieeeā€™s settings? Can you post a screenshot?

If this fails, you should consider an Allo USBridge. Much better reliability. But the Pi3 really should be fine for 24/96. Itā€™s the higher sample rates where I suffered the pops youā€™re having.

With a USBridge (a separate box) you can keep RoPieee Touchscreen as is, for the cool artwork display of course.

Hi @dabassgoesboomboom @stubaggs

Below are couple screenshots of my config. The separate power supplies did not help. I have ordered a WYRD and will give that try. If it works then my few DSDā€™s may play as well. If not I will add it to the USB connection from my Macbook Core and abandon the PI for now.

BTW - I am using a PI2. Could that be an issue?

Hmm Iā€™m not sure.

I only have experience with the Pi3 and RoPieee Touchscreen and it was fine up to PCM96kHz via itā€™s USB audio output. Itā€™s the high DSD sample rates where pops showed up for me.

Hello,

I am having the same kind of issues using a Pi3 latest generation connected to a Brooklyn DAC through USB. DSD produce random ticks like vinyl pops. I am using wifi and funnily enough if I try using the ethernet the problem is a lot worse and there is a lot of noise making it unusable.
This happens when upsampling with DSD but also upsampling hires PCM. I tried disconnecting the screen completely but there is no difference. Also I noticed that if I am upsampling to DSD and I move the volume in Roon with no music playing at all I can hear a noise when the volume moves.
What is the best solution to fix this annoying problem?
My DAC support DSD 256 and PCM up to 384 and I would like a solution that maintain the range of the DAC.
Thanks
Marco

Hi @Marcor

I now have 3 Ropieee end points:

1. Pi3 c/w screen - usb to a DragonFly Red to my AudioEngine 5 for casual listening at the computer - no ticks or ops on that one but it is fairly limited with the DragonFly. If I connect it to the Hugo (below) there is noise.

2. Pi3 with Allo DigiOne Coax board to Chord Hugo TT to Focal Uptopiaā€™s for intense listening - the DigiOne removed all ticks and pops. I do not use DSP. Very quiet and great sound.

3. Pi3 - usb to Schiit WYRD to A&K SP1000 (in DAC mode when not mobile) to A&K Rosie iem or Senn HD650ā€™s. This too is very quiet and I think the WYRD has helped a lot here. The WYRD is not that expensive so may be worth a try in your case.

All the Ropieeā€™s are running wireless with no issues.

Thank you for the info. My system is fine if I stay in within 192, the problems start when I go over the limit. Wireless is fine, ethernet is just not usable due to the noise. I think is due to the fact that on the Pi USB and Ethernet use the same board.
I had a look on line at the DigiOne but I believe that the output is only SPDIF and that is limited only to 192/24.
Good to know you had positive experience with the WYRD because that and the uptone USB regen are my possible alternative solutions. It seems this is the direction I need to explore.
thanks!
M