Non-certified devices and roon 1.8

is it possible that non-certified devices will no longer work after an update to version 1.8?

Yes! A reboot is required, and that action may break them.

Thanks! Then it’s probably better to wait with the update …

Hi @Urs_klauser,

There is no change to how uncertified devices work in Roon 1.8.

Thanks, Dylan.
The device is an AVM Ovation CS 8.3 that is in the process to get „roon ready“.
Do you know, when the certification by roon is finished and this device can be used under roon 1.8?

Hi @Urs_Klauser

This device is not currently Roon Ready. Generally, we can’t comment on certification progress. Certification is a collaboration between two companies and requires testing + technical feedback from both our end and the other company.

If you reach out directly to the manufacturer, they might be able to provide some more details of how certification is going on their end, but on our end the answer here will always be the same - the device will only be certified once it’s ready and passes all the necessary checks.

hi dylan

thanks for your reply.
so i will try to get some more information from avm.

could you answer please another question:

• can i update to the new roon-APP but stay on my core at roon 1.7 without getting any problems?

I am not sure if I understand this correctly. Does Roon 1.8 only work with certified/ready devices?

Or is it still possible to use not certified devices?

Hello @ix400,

That’s a great question! I’m happy to clarify.

Roon works best with Roon certified (Roon Ready or Roon Tested), but it also works with numerous other audio devices that have not gone through a Roon certification.

The above conversation refers to one of two things, depending on the device:

• some devices in the process of being certified, may not work in Roon until the certification is completed
  • some devices may not work with Roon at all (e.g. devices only supporting a DLNA connection which is not supported in Roon)

I hope this clarifies thing a bit :nerd_face:

Nothing has changed in the way this is done in 1.8 same as previous versions. September last year however Roon stamped down on devices that where released with unfinished uncertified Roon Ready statuses. Any devices that had been released after that date with this unfinished code where stopped from working as essentially they are beta and caused too many problems and support issues. Manufacturers have to abide by the certification rules and should not be releasing anything with unfinished code but yet they do. This does not affect the other devices that Roon supports such as Squeezebox, Sonos, Kef , Linn, Airplay or Chromecast devices only Roon Ready devices. Roon tested is mainly for USB dacs, Airplay and Chromecast clients.

A decide that claims to be Roon Ready has to pass certification before it works in Roon as an endpoint.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.