Not able to select sampling settings

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
MacOS

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Using AirPort Extreme WiFi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Mx121 trying to airplay into it

Description Of Issue
I am trying to upsample through the DSP settings. It is not letting me change the sample rate conversion. What am I doing wrong ?

You DAC is not indicating that its able to support more than what its set for now most likely…Note Airplay is limited to 48K

not sure if that is the issue. I was trying to only upscale an itunes song which is 256kbps. may be this feature does not work in trial set up?

The trial software is fully enabled. In fact it is identical. Click on the green dot at the bottom. This will display your signal path and will tell us more.

Hi @Vijay_Swami,

Can you please share a screenshot of your Signal Path (the green button at the bottom)?

Thank you Noris. Here it is.

Hi @Vijay_Swami,

Thanks for sharing that screenshot. It appears that the content you are playing has a sample rate of 44.1kHz, which is also the max sample rate outputted via your Airplay connection.

You can’t up-sample this because there is nothing to up-sample, you are already playing at the max sample rate that the Airplay connection can support.

In case you are curious about the bit-depth conversion, this is also to be expected when you are applying DSP, the stream gets converted to a larger bit-depth for the audio processing and back to the original after the processing is complete.

If you wish to achieve higher sample rates, you will need to connect the DAC via USB to the Core (or use a Roon Bridge device to facilitate the USB connection to the DAC), and this will permit your Core to send higher resolution content.

Thanks a lot Noris for your kind help. Really appreciate it. I am beginning to understand now

I am also debating if I should get Roon Nucleus. If i have that and connect that to my MX121 through USB will i have more options?

Is it easy to switch the core from my current MacOS to Roon Nucleus?

Thanks

Hi @Vijay_Swami,

Yes, if you connect via USB, you should be presented with more options, this will apply for both your current Core and for the Nucleus should you decide to purchase one.

You can also use an Ethernet -> USB Roon Bridge device to connect via USB, some popular options include Sonore Micro/UltraRendu or Allo USBridge, but there are others, you can find reviews if you search around for a bit.

It is fairly straight-forward, we have Migration Guide available, you would essentially need to make a backup of your current database and then restore it to the Nucleus. If you would like to get a head-start on some reading materials regarding the Nucleus, I highly suggest checking out our Nucleus Manual.

Note: all the blue links above are click-able and provide some very useful info.

Please try this with your current setup first or ask your dealer. A quick glance through the manual makes me believe that the USB/iPod socket on your device is not intended to work as USB audio input.

2 Likes

Good catch @BlackJack!

I just reviewed the MX121 manual and you appear to be correct, the USB port is listed as only accepting iPod/USB Drives and looks like you can’t connect it directly to a PC (and therefore interface to the DAC through Roon).

It appears you would need to use one of the MX121’s other inputs (Coax/Optical/HDMI) to facilitate the connection to the Core. I can’t comment on the specific limitations per input type, but you may want to reach out to McIntosh directly for this info to see what they suggest.

2 Likes

Thank you. Great point. Will test with my Mac core first. You are awesome

1 Like

I do have an additional HDMI in MX121 so will try that route

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.