Not for objectivist or those who believe bits are bits

The author has summarized his experiences in https://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=124902&pid=2912736 translated below:

Disclaimer: This is just strictly FYI and does not represent my position. I believe it also differs from Roon Labs recommendations.

1. The computer needs to be physically and electrically isolated from the audio equipment. Very important.
  2. CPU needs to be high speed. Turns off energy saving and hyperthreading in BIOS. Use Process Lasso to assign specific cores (2 and 3 only) to Roon processes, leave core 0 to OS.
  3. Optimize OS. On Windows Server 2016, install Fidelizer 8.3. Unplug display cable and monitor when playing music.
  4. User server grade PCI-E network card and run bridge mode direct to Roon endpoint, bypassing any network switch and router. Do not use motherboard LAN port.
  5. Use PCI-E SATA card with audio grade SATA cable. Install OS to SSD, music files to HDD. On Windows, set pagefile.sys to HDD.
  6. Use a high power power supply with low ripple noise. Prefer LPS.
  7. Must use PCI-E for network interface, SATA interface and USB interface. Avoid using motherboard peripherals and disable them in BIOS.
  8. Use audio grade LAN cable and power cord.

(Disabling of hyperthreading and point 2 are especially interesting to me from a software point of view. These probably reduce context switches. On the other hand, this is opposite to a different school of thought: some people believe in using the best possible CPU but underclock and undervolt it. I think a Roon server partner offers underclocked server products like this and got into a debate with Roon Labs. For point 3, I think it’s better off just running RoonServer without GUI, I think a reasonable amount of members here accept that not exercising the GPU is better.)

1 Like