Not happy with minimal requirements for Roon 2.0 and ARC

I am a lifetime subscriber of Roon since Roon was launched.
I was happy it replaced Sooloos and Roon worked fine on my Meridian MC200 But I had to pay…
Then my Meridian MC200 stopped and Installed my Core on a Mac Mini.
Roon updates worked fine, until … when?
I just found out that RoonARC cannot be supported on my perfectly working MacMini . Grrrr :worried:
I sincerely hope that Roon 1.8. Legacy will stay for many, many years to come!!! Otherwise I’m out.
In my view it is just not sustainable when Roon “forces” us to renew our hardware all the time.

2 Likes

I’d love to run and use WinXP and drive a 30 yr old car as a daily driver. But, it’s not just practical… Technology moves incredibly fast. Apple holds its value well. Don’t get stuck in old ways, and upgrade your tech as and when you can. If it’s too expensive, look at alternatives. You can have a pretty decent ROCK (headless) setup for less than £100/$100 these days.

What MacMini do you have by the way?

1 Like

I have a Mac Mini Server with High Sierra with Roon 1.8 : it’s the core… I have a Macbook pro with Catalina for “remote” and a PC with Windows 10 also for “remote” (a big house). This morning, I upgrade the PC fort Roon 2.0 : a big mistake… Impossible to connect to the Mini… So I tried to reinstall 1.8 after completely uninstalling 2.0 from the PC… Alas! Only I found only 1.8 legacy… and this version is not compatible with Macmini 1.8 either… I am not very happy…

1 Like

You’ll need to run/install 1.8 (Legacy) on all devices now, should you wish to stay with 1.8.

I and unfortunately 2.0 no longer supports Windows 7 system, so I don’t want to actually go to 2.0, very frustrating, I work away from home for a long time and use my office computer most of the time, so in version 1.8 I can remotely access the home roon server in my office, but 2.0 Windows 7 is no longer supported, I have to keep using version 1.8

1 Like

Initially I installed Roon 1.8 Legacy on my 2011 Mac Mini and remotes but was tempted by Arc and unhappy about the forthcoming lack of support for 1.8. So I had a look on Amazon and found a late 2014 Mac Mini (Renewed) for 229GBP that had an equivalent spec to mine. I bought it and was able to update the OS from Catalina to Monterey. It runs Roon 2.0 with ease after I restored my database from a recent backup.
I did feel rather peeved at having to invest in new hardware to be able to use a major Roon update but realise that an 11 year old Mac could not be expected to support software developments for ever. Hopefully Roon will run on Monterey for many years to come….

1 Like