Not importing all of my music

I am using the nucleus. I have my music files on an external hdd. About 6,000 cds. When roon scanned this drive, it only added about 2,000 cds. They are also not labeled correctly. They show album and artist where album should be and “artist unknown” on the artist line. Most do not have album art.

I also added a new 1tb ssd internally and formatted it.

When I ripped my cds, I did it in the following structure and am using flac:
Folder artist, sub folder album, sub folder tracks. No tags and no art.

I know the problem is with how I set up the external hdd. I always used it on the Mac using explorer.

Any suggestions on a way to configure roon to read my hdd correctly or a way to organize my music correctly on the hdd. Possibly a program or app?

Thanks for your help and sorry for my ignorance!

I would start by tagging all the files. Going to be a tedious process but moving forward tag as you rip.

If they are correctly tagged I don’t think roon cares much about folder structure. I could be wrong as some apps do care (some care too much lol)

Let’s of tagging programs out there not sure on the mac what is better/worse.

Hi @Donald_Bennett,

I definitely recommend checking out our File Tag Best Practice documentation. This should be a good starting point for you for tagging your files so that Roon can properly identify your albums.

I’d also like to point out some documentation we have that may be helpful here. In our KB we have an article about Skipped Files and an article about why some files might be missing from Roon.

If you go to Settings > Library > Skipped Files do you see any of your missing files there?

Thanks for the advise. I will attach the external hdd to my iMac pro and download a program that will add tags. I plan to back up my files about 670gb first.

Once I do that, I will format the ssd internal I added.then I will attach the updated hdd with the tags.

Am I missing any steps?

Hi @Donald_Bennett,

Once things are tagged properly you should be good to go. If you have any issues definitely reach out and we can take a look, but things should be much better after that.