Not just active, but digital, DSP-based speakers

I am the very spoiled owner of a pair of Genelec 8351 (in WAF-white-color). After studying for months, looking into the budget, studying more I had a unique opportunity to get the speakers-of-a-lifetime!
They are hooked up to a Mutec MC-3+ Smart Clock USB because I can then get rit of music servers and cable nightmare in our living room, only need a simple $20 Roon Bridge (DietPI on a Rasberry PI). So USB from Roonbridge to Mutec and from Mutec AES/EBU to the speaker (they are daisy-chained with AES cable). The first evening we got them positioned and calibrated we listened to a huge variety of both native Danish music as well as test-tracks and a lot of Niels-Henning Ƙrsted Pedersen (bass). I can truely say, that I have never for once in my life heard any reproduction of bass (and mid-high range) as tight, acccurate and emotional impacting as this pair of speakers. My wife was litteraly crying in tears when we heard the now late Danish ā€œFlemming Bamse JĆørgensenā€ performing a pure vocal performance - he was right there in the living room with us - I am not kidding when I tell you we could feel and ā€œmake outā€ the full depth and details of his whole voice-box and throat. Yes - I am a true believer in active speakers.

3 Likes

Just a question about current production ATC active speakers:

These are NOT DSP based, correct?

Analogue inputs remain analogue all the way through?

Iā€™ll tag @Rhythmatist , after reading this:

Iā€™ve only auditioned the SCM40A actives, which are entirely analogue. Gorgeous midrange, extremely disappointing non-extended treble and woolly bass. IMHO. YMMV.

1 Like

Correct. Analog entirely. ATC donā€™t recommend any DSP. They recommend room acoustic treatments only and sizing the speaker according to the application and room size. Remember they are used as a reference by the recording industry so the sound needs to be a reference - the same in all setups except for the room acoustic properties. Mixing decisions are generally made near field (least room effect) while bass checks and impressing clients are done on large main monitors.

1 Like

Woolly bass doesnā€™t sound correct at all - something might have been wrong with that setup you heard - but the treble is indeed polite rather than extended. Mid range is the quality that most users go for.

1 Like

Perhaps, but Iā€™m coming from a Meridian DSP + EBA perspective.

Thanks. Never heard active ATCā€™s properly but your description is exactly my description of the Special Edition DSP5200ā€™sā€¦ while the bigger ones may have better bass, I donā€™t know how different the treble will be. But Iā€™ll demo the bigger ones soon enough.

??? Iā€™ve never heard the 5200SEs described as having non-extended treble or woolly bass. And I have a pairā€¦

I guess Iā€™m used to the bass of the DSP controlled built-in subwoofers of my old GoldenEar Triton Oneā€™s and their Oskar Heil AMT inspired tweeters :weary:

You should hear my old manā€™s 40 year old ESS Fortura speakers with original Heil AMTā€™sā€¦ while Iā€™m quite happy telling him the overall speakers are crap (good for their age I guess), the tweetersā€¦youā€™ll never want to listen to dome tweeters ever again :smile:

I donā€™t use DSP at all. It only ever gave me an improvement in a poor acoustic environment. Tried Room EQ. Tried Audyssey XT32. No experience with Meridian but they are highly regarded and respected.

1 Like

If you get a chance listen to the Grimm LS1be with the new bass unit.

I agree about the Heils (and Iā€™m your old manā€™s age, I remember Oscar Heil himself).

I have Avantgarde Solos in the home theater, very precise and direct and there. When I needed a small room system, I got Mark & Daniel bookshelfs with AMT tweeters, they gave me that same there.

1 Like

I owned a pair of ATC SCM50A for quite a while. Your description of the sound is pretty spot on, but they are speakers you can live with as they have a certain leveling quality on whatever you put through them. The characteristic sound also meant they sounded much better on some types of music than others. They did get a bit ā€˜shoutyā€™ when turned up though, no doubt due to the frequency balance, so they eventually had to go.
From what I know now about how the room affects the sound, I think that they could have been tamed rather nicely with DIRAC or REW treatment.

I need to demo these.

And Iā€™m told by a good source (non-Roon) that these are in the process of being Roon certified.

I donā€™t know if that means ā€˜Roon Readyā€™ or more like the KEF LS50Wā€™s - either option is fine for me, although Roon Ready obviously is the ideal.

@dabassgoesboomboom They are Roon endpoints, you connect each speaker to the network (no link cable as they sync via the network) and they appear as a Roon endpoint with full control, they sound very good too, imho they look better than the Kiiā€™s.

Ymmv

Russ

1 Like

Already? I was told they arenā€™t yet, but will be.

It might have been beta fw but they worked beautifully as full Roon endpoints, with connectivity as described above.

1 Like

Nice. Iā€™m looking forward to demo-ing these soon.

The envelope continues to be pushed in this space.

I had a demo of these at home in early September, just Nucleus+ and D&D 8Cā€™sā€¦sounded absolutely stunning! No brainer. Ordered a pair

1 Like