Roon Core Machine

Synology DS920+

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Mikrotik hAP ac2

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

No idea as the roon core wont stay alive long enough to see

Description of Issue

Just bought roon lifetime license. installed roon core on my nas, and installed roon on my laptop to set it up and play from
everything seems to go without a hitch but after a few minutes it all comes crashing (literally) down
first roon on my laptop was having constant crashes
Fault bucket , type 0 Event Name: BEX64 Response: Not available Cab Id: 0
and
System.StackOverflowException
and errors about being unable to start opengl
then “waiting for roon core” and “Uh oh. something’s not right Make sure your Roon Core is turned on and that you’re connected to the same network”

Tried uninstalling and deleting everything and starting from sratch, everything loads up, then again a few minutes later same thing. roon core is running and i cant seem to access it from the windows app or from the roon arc app on android

I would have said something is wrong with your Windows but apparently it’s not working from the Android app either? What happens there?

According to googling, this BEX64 event seems to typically indicate a crash of an app, so possibly Roon crashing. Certainly not normal in any way.

You have two clients that aren’t working, so try running the core on a device other than the NAS just to rule out the NAS as an issue.

3 Likes

both clients connect to roon core initially. but after a few minutes both clients cant connect to core.
android just says “searching for roon core”

if i check the roon core it still shows as running

And is it crashing on Windows or not? It’s not clear to me.

The searching for core on both devices sounds like a likely network issue to me

How many tracks is your library?

No network issue, network’s very reliable.
Crashing in windows yes
as I said

Fault bucket , type 0 Event Name: BEX64 Response: Not available Cab Id: 0
errors about being unable to start opengl

the library never finishes building as roon crashes after a few minutes, so I don’t have a total

Yes, and the next sentence was

then “waiting for roon core” and “Uh oh. something’s not right Make sure your Roon Core is turned on and that you’re connected to the same network”

so that was not entirely clear. So when does this appear exactly in the Windows app?

That’s what everyone says :wink: It’s not just about being reliable either, but proper configuration, possibly funny vlans, subnets, managed switches interfering with broadcasts, etc.
But if you are sure, look elsewhere. @Henry_McLeod’s idea is a very good one

Surely you have some general idea how many albums you have saved on the NAS?

Sorry this is a bit OT, but I’ll never understand why people continue to use a NAS for the core/server duties. A NAS OS is complete different beast.

Yes I understand there are a lot of proponents for using a NAS/core and many using it successfully which is great etc…

However, it isn’t supported, and relying on an external entity to provide a custom “image” (which I’m sure has provided a quality product) to run on a NAS just isn’t an ideal solution (IMHO), especially for the inexperienced/new users - not saying the OP is.

Maybe I’m a bit off base, and yes others using an “approved” platform have issues, but adding a non-supported platform to a situation just doesn’t seem like the best place to start ones journey with this application. Hope things get resolved.

I would install Roon core on your laptop and start there. If you have an ethernet dongle, plug it directly into your router with no wireless. If you don’t have a dongle, you could try connecting the laptop core using WIFI.

2 Likes

How is your NAS connected to the router , by Ethernet or wireless ? Roon recommend Ethernet ONLY From Core to Router

Roon is a very demanding app from a CPU/GPU point of view , some NAS simply aren’t man enough . @Jim_F suggestion is good, if the laptop has the “guts” to cope just as a try create a core on the laptop and put a few files in it see if that works isolating the NAS. It will point in some direction …

Google tells me that NAS has a Celeron 2.0 gHz CPU , that’s really a bit weak for Roon , check out the minimum requirements

If your NAS has the standard amount of memory it comes with (4GB) and you have a relatively large music collection then the chances are the Roon app is failing when it tries to do anything intensive. Analysing your files is the single most intensive thing you will ask Roon to do. If you have a lot of files you need power and memory, more than available using a Celeron processor. The only thing I can suggest is to throttle or even stop analysis and do it on demand as you play a file. I’m not sure why your laptop is not performing but the first thing would be to try and get your core on the NAS stable. And, given your investment so far, consider getting a properly specified machine to run Roon and use the NAS as a NAS only if you do have a lot of music.

2 Likes

Yes, and the next sentence was

so that was not entirely clear. So when does this appear exactly in the Windows app?

Those were the first issues I had. The windows app was erroring and crashing as above.

That’s what everyone says :wink: It’s not just about being reliable either, but proper configuration, possibly funny vlans, subnets, managed switches interfering with broadcasts, etc.
But if you are sure, look elsewhere. @Henry_McLeod’s idea is a very good one

No vlans, no managed switches, just a basic simple gigabit network.

Surely you have some general idea how many albums you have saved on the NAS?

my plexamp library says just over 1000 albums

1 Like

I have zero use for roon core on my laptop. doing that wouldnt benefit me at all.

my NAS has 12GB

So has this crashing stopped now? We can’t see your screens, you have to be a bit more precise so that everyone understands what is happening.

Sorry, are you sure? All my google results tell me that the DS920+ is “Intel Celeron J4125 4-core CPU and 4GB of DDR4 RAM that can even be expanded up to 8GB.”

12 and 8 wouldn’t be too bad. Your 1000 albums are not a huge amount, so theoretically that should work. If it’s the standard 4, maybe not.

I would try what @Henry_McLeod wrote:

This is in Roon > Settings > Library. Set “background” to off and “on demand” to throttled. Then see if this makes a difference

So has this crashing stopped now? We can’t see your screens, you have to be a big more precise so that everyone understands what is happening.

Why would the crashing stop? i’ve not been given any troubleshooting steps or fixes.

Not sure how much more precise I can be, I literally gave you error log info.
After spending 700 dollars I kinda hoped there’d be an official support channel.

It would help you narrow down where the problem might be. There are very experienced users like @Jim_F trying to help you. Maybe you should follow their advice.

It’s like taking a car into the garage and then the mechanic says “instead of me diagnosing the issue, drive this car instead”. Whether roon core works on my laptop or not is irrelevant but I’ve installed it on a NUC to test now.

Sorry, are you sure? All my google results tell me that the DS920+ is “Intel Celeron J4125 4-core CPU and 4GB of DDR4 RAM that can even be expanded up to 8GB.”

Yes I’m sure.

12 and 8 wouldn’t be too bad. Your 1000 albums are not a huge amount, so theoretically that should word. If it’s the standard 4, maybe not.

I would try what @Henry_McLeod wrote:

This is in Roon > Settings > Library. Set “background” to off and “on demand” to throttled. Then see if this makes a difference

I’ll give this a try the next time Roon let’s me interact with it.

There is - it’s here in the Support category of the forum. However, the Support team is small (four people), they don’t work weekends, and they have a queue system for dealing with support requests.

Well I don’t understand how it can display “waiting for roon core” after it already crashed.

It’s a weekend. Some users donate their free time trying to help you, and all you do is being unfriendly to them.

And sometimes, when it is unclear what’s going on, methodically ruling out things is the way to go. But as you know all about how to solve it you don’t need me or anyone else, so I for one am out.

Do you know how it’s possible to add 12 if it supports 8? Just curious

Another confusing thing. You wrote initally “everything seems to go without a hitch but after a few minutes it all comes crashing” and “starting from sratch, everything loads up, then again a few minutes later same thing”. My thinking was that this would give you enough time to change the setting.