Nothing seems to work

It’s a troubleshoot step to rule out an issue with the NAS. Some really excellent troubleshooting by the community has been done here. It’s unclear though, if your Core is crashing, leading to issues with the clients, or if you have an issue with remotes (clients) on the network.

Loading a Core, somewhere besides the NAS, will allow for a data point about the stability of the Core as it relates to the NAS.

For reference the NAS has a Intel Celeron J4125. A processor commonly found in low power mini pc’s. I don’t know if it meets minimum specs for Roon but I’d assume, for a very small library it would function.

OK then. Good luck diagnosing the problem.

2 Likes

Simple truth is this will take some sorting and patience from both sides. The diagnostic steps are pretty simple. Limit the demands of Roon, move Roon and if that isn’t successful then you are looking at other issues in the realms of network etc.

[quote=“Suedkiez, post:20, topic:234556, full:true”]

Well I don’t understand how it can display “waiting for roon core” after it already crashed.

Repeatedly reopening roon

It’s a weekend. Some users donate their free time trying to help you, and all you do is being unfriendly to them.

And I appreciate that (hopefully more than just it’s your computer, buy new equipment). It’d be good to get real support though.

And sometimes, when it is unclear what’s going on, methodically ruling out things is the way to go.

It doesn’t really rule anything out, the player is crashing, it’s complaining about being unable to start opengl, roon hsa stopped working. System.StackOverflowException.
multiple roon cores dont change anything.

But as you know all about how to solve it you don’t need me or anyone else, so I for one am out.

Well I appreciate your time, not the attitude though.

Do you know how it’s possible to add 12 if it supports 8? Just curious

If I downgrade to 8gb nothing changes.

Another confusing thing. You wrote initally “everything seems to go without a hitch but after a few minutes it all comes crashing” and “starting from sratch, everything loads up, then again a few minutes later same thing”. My thinking was that this would give you enough time to change the setting.

Yes when deleting and uninstalling everything, creating a brand new RoonServer share and new roon core installation roon will open for a few minutes before crashing.

Same same, goodbye

1 Like

It’s a troubleshoot step to rule out an issue with the NAS. Some really excellent troubleshooting by the community has been done here. It’s unclear though, if your Core is crashing, leading to issues with the clients, or if you have an issue with remotes (clients) on the network.

Sure, but it doesn’t really matter if roon works on completely different hardware. Regardless, roon crashes on my laptop regardless if the core is on a synology or a nuc

Loading a Core, somewhere besides the NAS, will allow for a data point about the stability of the Core as it relates to the NAS.

For reference the NAS has a Intel Celeron J4125. A processor commonly found in low power mini pc’s. I don’t know if it meets minimum specs for Roon but I’d assume, for a very small library it would function.

What nuc did you test this with and what OS?

Dude! You’ve been given many troubleshooting steps, by volunteers who are only trying to help you! Ease up with the attitude.

OK, this is pretty relevant information to share. So you did try installing the core elsewhere? Did you use ROCK? And what model NUC, what is the hard drive setup, etc.?

You initially indicated that both the laptop and an android device fail, which indicates the issue is with the core or the network. Have you tried a different windows client machine?

1 Like

Hey @berryaxe,

Ben with the support team here, thanks for your patience while we work through each thread.

It does look like you’ve been given some great next steps from some of our most knowledgeable users here on the community.

If you are still running into issues with your core crashing, please reproduce the issue and share the specific date and time of the crash. Do you get a crash report when this happens?

A set of system file logs from the NAS would be helpful as well. You can upload those here.

I’ll be on standby for your reply. :+1:

Hi Ben, thanks for reaching out.

I’m happy to split the multiple issues however best works for you.

As per my post, core crashes and the player crashes.

As the player keeps crashing it obviously makes it harder to figure out the state of the core, so I’d prefer the player issues fixed first but am happy to do whatever you prefer to focus on first.

I provided the errors in the logs for the player in the original post (copied here for your convenience)
Fault bucket , type 0 Event Name: BEX64 Response: Not available Cab Id: 0
System.StackOverflowException
unable to start opengl

The other errors I see on the player are:
waiting for roon core
Uh oh. something’s not right Make sure your Roon Core is turned on and that you’re connected to the same network
although I’d assume they’re due to the core being in a bad state.

Regarding core crashes, could you confirm where the relevant logs are located?
Crashes occur on both RoonOnNAS on my Synology NAS, and on an Intel NUC I setup at the request of the community.
So not sure which Core you wish to work on fixing first.

Hey @berryaxe,

Whichever device is typically used as your core.

If you’re using a NAS as a core device, here is a breakdown on how to export system logs from the device:

Please reproduce the issue and share the specific date and time of the crash. Then, export system logs and You can upload those here.

Refreshing your database wouldn’t hurt either, it would be good to see if the issue persists without restoring from a backup first. Steps to follow below:

• Make a Backup of your current RoonServer Database
  • Exit out of RoonServer
  • Navigate to your RoonServer’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Reinstall the RoonServer App from our Downloads Page to generate a new RoonServer folder
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database
  • Verify the issue persists prior to restoring a backup

Thanks!

Thanks. I searched the log center for roon and got zero results at all for any of the crashes. Is there a different keyword?

This weekend I reset my RoonShare again (for like the 11th time in a month) and the player crashed a few times this weekend. I added the same music folder to the library that I’ve added the last 10 odd times and whilst the player kept crashing, and the core didn’t crash this time. No differences from any other time I’ve reset the roon core, so I don’t get it. Without anything mentioning roon in the log center I don’t know what to make of it.

With the player crashing so much It’s impossible to figure out if the core works properly or not so I’m going to just create another post for the player to try to get that fixed so then I better know what’s going on with the core.

Hey @berryaxe,

Typically, Roonserver Logs or Roonlogs should provide results.

Both @ipeverywhere and @Jim_F do bring up a good thing to test in situations like these. It can be helpful to see if you’re able to host a core within your network, even if it’s on a device you’d typically use as a remote.

If you could please upload the full set of logs to the link I’ve shared above, that would be helpful as well. We haven’t been able to connect to your core device to enable diagnostics, which is why I ask for a set of manual logs.

To triple confirm, please make sure your core device is currently hardwired directly to your router, bypassing any network gear just for now.

I appreciate your patience here while we continue to investigate. :+1:

I haven’t been able to find a single log in log center with the word roon.
however I think i’ve linked the timing of the roon core failing to the error in the logs of the ssd / usb drive being ejected unexpectedly. no idea why there’s no issues with the drive, smart data and cluster scan report 100% ok. and the nvme enclosure and drive have no issues when used on my laptop. it seems a common synology issue though.

So i think i’m going to have to give up on running the core on a synology. i’ll continue trying to get the player working and the core working on in the intel nuc then.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.