Now Playing Some Jazz

I hope I’m not stepping on any toes here but I couldn’t see a Jazz-specific category in the Music section so thought I’d start one. I’ve been listening to the genre for ten years now but there’s so much I still don’t know and I’m always curious to discover something new, or new to me. What Jazz have you been listening to lately? How did you discover it?

1 Like

I’ll kick things off with my current listen: Salute to the Sun – Live at Hallé St. Peter’s
by Matthew Halsall. I know it’s not for everyone but I love the Spiritual Jazz revival that’s happened here in the UK and this is a prime example. Really nicely recorded, and excellent performances all round. I used to find jazz flute a bit cringe (possibly that scene in Anchorman did not help!) but now it’s one of my favourite instruments, and fits really well with the trumpet and harp here.

3 Likes

Jean-Luc Ponty is probably my favorite violinist who plays jazz, he can make the violin sing, it’s quite delightful! Stuff Smith is excellent too :smiley:

6 Likes

@Chris_I

It’s always good to have another Jazz themed thread going in the Music section so no toes stepped on.

I did a search for “jazz” in the Music section and got these results - there are several very worthwhile threads among those listed.

Here’s a new release I was just listening to. I usually “discover” new music via new releases in on Tidal and Qobuz or via a post on one of the many music blogs I follow or via hearing on the radio or SiriusXM’s “Real Jazz” channel (although Sirius tends not to play anything too adventurous).

3 Likes

A little Sonny Clark to make the morning crackle.

13 Likes

RoonShareImage-637753662777943700

2 Likes

RoonShareImage-637753664139093220

1 Like

Does anyone else feel that the DJ on KCSM might be a bit too fond of the Hammond B3 organ?

There’s nothing wrong with the B3 :wink:

Hammond B3 is a great instrument. My brother had several of them during his lifetime. We lugged that thing all over up and down the east coast USA along with my drums.

3 Likes

Really enjoyed this!

2 Likes

A classic!

6 Likes

Got to see a slightly different version of this wonderful all female group (Nicole Glover on tenor sax instead of Melissa Aldana) at Birdland in NYC last night. Yes I know that going out to a jazz club at this Omicron influenced moment is not the wisest thing to do but we were all very cautious at all times. Plus I’ve been waiting since their album was released to see them live.

Great show with lots of fantastic playing and wonderful and interesting arrangements. Truly outstanding.

6 Likes

GoGo Penguin again and again. Rob Turner, one of my favourite drummers, has sadly left the band (and I’m sure he’ll do great new stuff). But I’m looking forward to the new guy on drums - Jon Scott.

5 Likes

RoonShareImage-637755177977854213

1 Like

Chris McGregor is one of the most underrated jazz musicians, at on this side of the pond (I’m in the NYC area). Here’s one of my favorite McGregor recordings, might be a little hard to find and NOT available on either Tidal or Qobuz. Worth hunting down just for the Annie Whitehead trombone solo on the title track. Also Roon has McGregor appearing on a few Nick Drake recordings. Is this correct?

3 Likes

I recommend all of Matt Halsall’s releases. They’re all very good and he’s a terrific musician.

1 Like

Listening to these guys this morning.
RoonShareImage-637755889106915686

2 Likes

Available on Qobuz. I doubt there is a bad Steve Coleman recording. Enjoy the ride.
RoonShareImage-637756320698357780

4 Likes