Now Playing Some Jazz [2021-2022]

Here is a list of Top 20 Jazz albums of 2020 from Jazzwise

Top 20 Jazz Albums of 2020 | Jazzwise

What Jazz have you been listening to lately? How did you discover it?

Post other lists you find, or post your own list …

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this @RobOK. I don’t really consider myself a big Jazz fan so I was surprised to see I had 4 of these in my collection! That Nubya Garcia album is fantastic.

1 Like

Here’s NPR’s list.

Maria Schneider’s Data Lords is #1 on both, and otherwise a fair amount of correspondence between the two lists.

2 Likes

Very nice list. Thanks!

My 2020 top 20 (reverse release date):

Faune, Raphaël Pannier Quartet
Pedernal, Susan Alcorn Quintet
Atlântico, Mario Laginha/Julian Argüelles/Helge Norbakken
Sentinel, Erik Friedlander
Rainbow Sign, Ron Miles
The Unidentifiable, Matthew Shipp Trio
Omega, Immanuel Wilkins
History Gets Ahead of the Story, Jeff Cosgrove/John Medeski/Jeff Lederer
Blue Has a Range, Steve Cardenas
Tide, Micah Thomas
Hero Trio, Rudresh Mahanthappa
Imaginary Archipelago, Karuna Trio
Tight Like This, Kirk Knuffke
Freya, Tineke Postma
We Are Sent Here By History, Shabaka & The Ancestors
Big Vicious, Avishai Cohen
Angular Blues, Wolfgang Muthspiel/Scott Colley/Brian Blade
8: Kindred Spirits, Charles Lloyd
Fantastic Mrs. 10, Tim Berne Snakeoil
Nocturnal Animals, Yelena Eckemoff

4 Likes

The albums reviewed at jazztrail.net tend avant-garde, but not exclusively. Some of my favorites overlap with theirs.

1 Like

Awesome list!! any further pointers… a Top 5 to start with, or grouping them in some way? (you mentioned avant-garde in your note…

Tough to select 5 out of the 20, but here are 5 chosen for novelty (Omega and Freya are first releases for their leaders) and general unpredictability. None pure avant-garde, all exploratory.

Pedernal, Susan Alcorn Quintet
Imaginary Archipelago, Karuna Trio
Freya, Tineke Postma
Fantastic Mrs. 10, Tim Berne Snakeoil
Omega, Immanuel Wilkins

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendations I will give them a listen. By the way, “Freya” is not Tineke Postma’s first release. She has been releasing recordings since 2003/2004 and now has about 7 releases under her own name plus another 10 or so appearances. Check her out on Tidal or Qobuz.

2 Likes

I would like to recommend fluxfm jazzradio schwarzenstein to you. It is a adfree radio station, music only, strictly jazz.

http://streams.fluxfm.de/jazzschwarz/mp3-320/audio/

1 Like

I hope I’m not stepping on any toes here but I couldn’t see a Jazz-specific category in the Music section so thought I’d start one. I’ve been listening to the genre for ten years now but there’s so much I still don’t know and I’m always curious to discover something new, or new to me. What Jazz have you been listening to lately? How did you discover it?

5 Likes

I’ll kick things off with my current listen: Salute to the Sun – Live at Hallé St. Peter’s
by Matthew Halsall. I know it’s not for everyone but I love the Spiritual Jazz revival that’s happened here in the UK and this is a prime example. Really nicely recorded, and excellent performances all round. I used to find jazz flute a bit cringe (possibly that scene in Anchorman did not help!) but now it’s one of my favourite instruments, and fits really well with the trumpet and harp here.

6 Likes

Jean-Luc Ponty is probably my favorite violinist who plays jazz, he can make the violin sing, it’s quite delightful! Stuff Smith is excellent too :smiley:

https://i.imgur.com/vDdQGlg.png

8 Likes

@Chris_I

It’s always good to have another Jazz themed thread going in the Music section so no toes stepped on.

I did a search for “jazz” in the Music section and got these results - there are several very worthwhile threads among those listed.

Here’s a new release I was just listening to. I usually “discover” new music via new releases in on Tidal and Qobuz or via a post on one of the many music blogs I follow or via hearing on the radio or SiriusXM’s “Real Jazz” channel (although Sirius tends not to play anything too adventurous).

https://i.imgur.com/qA4DDZ6.png

3 Likes

A little Sonny Clark to make the morning crackle.

22 Likes

RoonShareImage-637753662777943700

3 Likes

RoonShareImage-637753664139093220

2 Likes

Does anyone else feel that the DJ on KCSM might be a bit too fond of the Hammond B3 organ?

There’s nothing wrong with the B3 :wink:

1 Like

Hammond B3 is a great instrument. My brother had several of them during his lifetime. We lugged that thing all over up and down the east coast USA along with my drums.