Now Playing Some Jazz

Multi-part post since I need to catch up after my recent visit to Jamacia :sunglasses:

I sure do! And I have quite a few of them in my vinyl collection. Two-fers were fairly popular back in the 1970s and then along came the CD…

New discovery on Tidal/Qobuz. Great sonics! Oh and the music is quite enjoyable as well.

Recent post from the “other” jazz thread: Ahmad Jamal

And from the archives today’s Vinyl Hour selections:

Three from the great Microscopic Septet, none of which I could find available for streaming and only one of which has been released on CD (“Beauty Based On Science”)

This one is a real rarity, which I picked up while working at my college radio station. According to Discogs it was officially available as this promo vinyl and has been unofficially released several times as a bootleg.

Seems that I wasn’t quite finished with this long post because no sooner did I switch from listening to vinyl back to listening via Roon then i discovered these release, available on Tidal and Qobuz from Polish bass player Damian Kostka. Interesting and engaging compositions played by a talented group and very well recorded. Of course there is zero useful metadata from either Tidal or Qobuz but here’s what I found via Google.

“The material was recorded in the line-up: Kuba Marciniak (tenor saxophone, flute), Cyprian Baszyński (trumpet, flugelhorn), Jacek Szwaj (piano), Damian Kostka (double bass, bass guitar), Mateusz Brzostowski (drums). All compositions are by the leader.”
Damian Kostka - Rules For Being Human (so that you can easily cut and paste into Roon search and yes, a search for “Damian Kostka” returns this recording)

5 Likes

6 Likes

I bit experimental but still great :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A new release available on Tidal and Qobuz. A masterful recording by one of Italy’s master musicians honoring a great and masterful American musician. The format is a jazz piano trio with an orchestra. The piano trio is mixed up front with the orchestra a bit recessed for most of the recording. A fine tribute to John Lewis.

4 Likes

From The Audiophile Society

2 Likes

Thanks to NPR for this discovery

1 Like

That’s a really good album, but I can’t find any info on who The Funky Buffalos are. No web presence. Even their label’s web site doesn’t identify the band members.

Hi David. Hope this can help:

Torben

1 Like

4 Likes

RoonShareImage-638099173854686860

1 Like

2 Likes

Out of necessity I found myself having to work all weekend. Now that I am wrapping up, I need something like this to ease my way into a quiet evening. It’s quite beautiful.

RoonShareImage-638100088195390424

4 Likes

4 Likes

1 Like

One of Max Roach’s most musically satisfying ensembles. This ensemble deserved much wide acclaim. Adding a string quartet without losing the essence of jazz can be quite difficult but Max Roach managed it with flying colors.

3 Likes

The most hyped new release of 2023. Does it live up to all the hype? Give it a listen and decide for yourself (hint: it’s worth a listen). Available on Tidal and Qobuz

2 Likes

Just listened to this new release and it’s so good that i just had to share:

Available here along with detailed information about the recording and the group. Although this release doesn’t seem to be available (yet) on Tidal or Qobuz a few of their earlier studio releases ae available.

2 Likes

This is excellent!

1 Like

This is a great listen with a very interesting backstory.

2 Likes