Now playing some sweet Soul, R&B and Funk

Hmmm. If the bar is “Super Human” you’d need to think about James Brown.
He was a music-makin’ machine.
But yeah…

2 Likes

The Sade classic with the incredible Lalah on vocals and Robert Glasper band.

RoonShareImage-636895832021569480

An incredible group of talent on one track here. First class production, as expected.

RoonShareImage-636895834729639440

Given the push to release albums began to slow way down in the 70s, I am not sure that there are many that can even qualify time-wise (let alone quality) post 1976.

1 Like

Two questions Sean:

1. How are you finding these new single track releases? Is it in Tidal (or Qobuz)? Any filters?

2. Roon’s search function sucks. If I type in (My Last Chance) it isn’t one of the selections. I had this problem yesterday with another track. If you know exactly where it is, you can find it. But usually it looks more like an Easter Egg hunt. Is this one in Roon? (Aaargh! found it listed as an album with two songs)

Hi @grossmsj ,

This is one of the things about Roon that bugs me - first world problem of course and this is not a complaint… just feedback… @joel

See here for similar issue I raised in the past: Can't search for a remix

I use the Tidal app to discover new releases each week.

I ‘follow’ artists in Tidal and in the Tidal app there are ‘suggested new tracks’ and ‘suggested new albums’, based on artists you follow and your listening. So the Tidal app tells me when my followed artists release new tracks or albums.

So I got notified of the Marvin Gaye album release in the Tidal app AND the Tidal app shows the full proper track title, making the Salaam Remi remixes very easy to spot… and search for…

I really hope Roon can close the gap with the Tidal app… even with individual track credits, see below for examples:

Thank you very much @dabassgoesboomboom! I didn’t know about any these Tidal capabilities. I’ve always used it as a ‘feeder’ for Roon. My bad.
Also, many thanks to you and @jaguone for the great music suggestions. I’ve really enjoyed the perspective from the two threads you guys are tending.
Cheers,
Scott

1 Like

No problem at all. The Tidal app isn’t what it was 3 years ago when I joined Roon… they’ve improved quite a bit… especially the last year I noticed. Roon actually has a couple of key areas to catchup on but I’m sure they will.

Another example below of Roon lacking behind the free Tidal app for individual track credits as I listen now to this classic album. I could go on forever with examples but the Roon Team are already aware so I’m sure they have plans to improve this.

I should try and be helpful so that you can actually hear this beautiful track through Roon!

The Salaam Remi remix of My Last Chance is track #9 on the album. Marvin’s voice and tone gives me goosebumps on the opening of that track.

Tracks #9, #10 and #11 are the superb new Salaam Remi remixes. Salaam can do no wrong.

2 Likes

Thanks @dabassgoesboomboom! I eventually found it listed in Roon as an album of two songs with Symphony. I’ve got no idea why it would be listed this way. Roon search works OK if you know exactly what you want and exactly where you will find it. Otherwise, good luck.
We take for granted how ‘easy’ this is through Google. I’m sure its not, and I’m pretty sure Roon will eventually sort it out. As you say, first world problem.

1 Like

Great points and I’ll tag @joel so he sees this feedback.

I know Joel and the wider Roon Team are already well aware of these issues and always hard at work to improve this stuff. But I will sleep better at night knowing that at least one Roon person is aware of this feedback and knowing it doesn’t just get buried deep in a thread that only 5 people are reading :grin:

This was one of the hottest streaks of sustained brilliance… probably ever. Period. Absolutely incredible body of work.

1 Like

Was driving back from Boston to NY last night and this little beauty popped up on my Tidal playlist. Hadn’t heard it for years. Still sounds gorgeous.

2 Likes

Summer of 1980, saw the final night of Stevie’s world tour at Wembley Arena. He came on stage at 7:45 and finally left us just before midnight - with Diana and Marvin joining him at the end. Full 4-piece horn section. Stevie in braids. He played all the classics from these albums, plus some new ones from the soon to be released Hotter than July. One of my all time favorite memories. Turned the old barn into ‘my house’ for the night.

2 Likes

Holy moly. I’m jealous.

Oh yeah, plus lots of Songs in the Key, of course. But the Best moment of the whole thing for me was his rendition of Let’s Get Serious - the Jermaine Jackson hit - which was preceded by Higher Ground. I swear the floor was bouncing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsi2MtV0y74

1 Like

Great clip and incredible cover. Not just one of the great singers, not just one of the great song writers and not just one of the greatest musicians… but people forget Stevie’s got jokes too! What an entertainer. Thanks for sharing that.

Somewhere up in this thread I shared a story of Jamie Foxx a few years ago, introducing Stevie performing at the Grammy’s and part of the intro was something like “Stevie Wonder has more talent in just one of his braids, than most of you here today”

And the room burst with laughter, despite being the butt of the joke :grin:

Btw I believe Stevie wrote LGS. Just a little something he tossed to the Jacksons to help them along. The guy had talent to burn. Yes, he’s also very funny live. He loves to get people laughing and then - wham! just drops into a groove from nowhere and just floors you.

2 Likes

An talented multi-instrumentalist, Daniell Fridell. Jazzy, groovy music. Excellent!
*Daniel Fridell in the creative process. Interesting read!
“I love music.
This album is basically a jam session with myself. Growing up, I used to record music this way. Starting with a drum machine track, then a drum track, bass, guitar, keyboards - creating the music track by track, note by note. I wanted to do that again, it’s an intuitive and fun way of doing music. I recorded these jams during late nights after finishing other sessions, setting up all the instruments in the control room of my studio: a 60’s Slingerland drum kit, a 70’s Fender Jazz bass, a 70’s Rhodes electric piano, a Juno 60 synthesizer, a Moog Rogue synthesizer, a Yamaha YC10 organ, a Fender Tele Custom electric guitar, a Nord Electro and Nord Modular G2 keyboards.
So, inspired by masters of all the amazing and creative late 60’s and 70’s music like Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Sly and The Family Stone, Shuggie Otis, George Duke, King Crimson, the melodic bass lines of Aston Barret of the Wailers and everything in between, I just went at it.”

2 Likes