Now playing some sweet Soul, R&B and Funk

RoonShareImage-636532172950847930

1 Like

Itā€™s unlikely heā€™ll ever make anything as perfect as this again, but, thatā€™s cool:

Dianaā€™s voice seemed to lend itself to double tracking more than most:

This is the track - along with ā€œJust to be close to youā€ - thatā€™ll ensure Lionel gets through the Pearly Gates. Shame he made so much MOR schlock latterly.

3 Likes

A classic indeed. Charlene is one of my all time favourites.

Some Soulful House for me to chill to this Sunday evening.

The lovely Angela Johnson doing her thing on vocals.

RoonShareImage-636533890526687100

Tyrone man, I told you not to annoy her:

ā€œI grab the forty, rip off the skirt
Guzzle it, grab the mic and come out the woodworksā€

Great opening lines, then that guitar riff, borrowed from the George McRae original, thrashes around your brain like a demented wasp in a jam-jar. Oh, and of course there is ā€œHeartbeatā€ from Taana Gardner in there too:

Fine, fine, cut for a military man. Strings by David Van DePitte:

1 Like

Glodean and the girls never sounded better than on this. Masterful strings and Bacharach like brass figures too:

Iā€™ve never heard it, but Iā€™m told, that some other minor beat combo made a track with a similar title. I canā€™t believe it can compete with this though. Delirium ensues from 3ā€™ 18" whenever I hear this:

2 Likes

Produced and co-written by Kanye Westā€¦

Despite all his wild antics, his production talent teamed up with Ms Keys to produce an undeniable timeless classic on this one.

RoonShareImage-636535591178949950

1 Like

Thereā€™s a lot of Hip-Hop about for sure. This is one that stuck with me. I think itā€™s the layered heavy low end perhaps:

Mr Fugi looks like a guy who knew how to enjoy himself. This album is spoken of in hushed tones in the Funk Netherworld:

They really donā€™t make them like this any more. Can only be listened to with the sleeves of oneā€™s Gucci jacket rolled up to the elbow though. Stupendous !

1 Like

When Jill sings, ā€œBut somebody turn Frankie Beverly on the stereoā€, matron always has to pass me a Kleenex:

One of the many perfect cuts that came out of 1320 South Lauderdale, Memphis, back in the day. Stellar rhythm track from the Hi chaps:

Chugs along nicely until Little Walter comes in and blows the roof off the sucker:

2 Likes

Classic. Written and produced by one of the all time great contributors & influencers, of (modern) R&B.

RoonShareImage-636537078618863150

Gotta follow-up with one from the legend himself

RoonShareImage-636537123608482220

Best heard in a heaving club at 3am:

John Peel introduced many of us in the UK to this thing of beauty, many years ago:

Often seen as a full dress rehearsal for ā€œPapaā€¦ā€. Eddie K. centre stage on the mic.:

1 Like

Am I the only Freddie fan here?:joy:

RoonShareImage-636538093346227120

No.

3A221C1E-983E-4CCE-8E39-43E911315B26

:joy:

2 Likes

HA i should have seen that coming. Well played :joy:

Sleep tight. Hope you see him coming in time :wink:

2 Likes

Hehe Iā€™m more afraid of the Tax Man to be honest :scream:

1 Like