Now playing some sweet Soul, R&B and Funk

G-Funk

Just enjoying this in MQA so for the time being Iā€™m using the BluOS app to my Pulse 2

2 Likes

I had this added to my library but hadnā€™t listened yet. Thanks for the reminder :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was lucky enough to see this young lady at Bluesfest earlier this year. Still sounding as soulful as ever.

Iā€™m not sure if it gets much better. Eargasms.

6 Likes

Discovered this lovely talent after I heard her on a lovely soulful house classic.

Maxine Hardcastle on the soulful vocals too.

Hey @dabassgoesboomboom! Very cool thread :sunglasses: Iā€™m a pretty big collector of Soul and R&B ā€“ about 3300 R&B albums in my Roon collection, and another ~3000+ LPs and 45s jammed into my apartment with me and my incredibly forgiving wife :innocent:

So, I could probably spend all day posting in this threadā€¦ but Iā€™m going to try and pop in with some recommendations on a semi-regular basis ā€“ hopefully I can can help keep this going!

Iā€™ll probably post some more current R&B next time, but Iā€™m going to start with a few tracks from one of my favorite soul sounds of all time ā€“ Willie Mitchellā€™s work in and around Hi Records in Memphis!

The entire ā€œI Canā€™t Stand The Rainā€ album is worth your time. Roughly the same period, band, and producer as Al Greenā€™s best, but Ann is nearly his equal. Some of my favorite soul recordings of all time.

Not an easy one to find (before TIDAL at least), this is a beautiful track responding to Arethaā€™s Donā€™t Play That Song. Itā€™s on this compilation which was also the first appearance of Letā€™s Live For Ourselves, which was previously un-issued.

Another reasonably-obscure favorite of mine is O.V. Wright. I think this actually came out on Back Beat, but itā€™s Willie Mitchell so Iā€™m including it. Some of my other favorites from him are Eight Men, Four Women, Ace Of Spades (despite the lyrics) and Youā€™re Gonna Make Me Cry, all of which are on the great ā€œSoul Of O.V. Wrightā€ compilation.

Iā€™m including Syl Johnson here because he recorded for Hi, although I have to say his material for the label pales in comparison to his earlier work on Twinight, which didnā€™t involve Willie Mitchell.

Regardless, the ā€œIs It Because Iā€™m Blackā€ album has some incredible moments, especially the title song and Concrete Reservation. For the more complete career retrospective, I recommend the sprawling ā€œComplete Mythologyā€ from the good folks at Numero.

Precious little information about this one out there, but you can probably find it on Youtube or something ā€“ such a great track.

A solid-looking overview of the label is here too. Ok, Iā€™m doneā€¦ until next time! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Oh my days, too much ear candy for one post mike :joy: I joke of course. As the great Luther said (RIP :cry:), never too much.

I try to keep the mix as eclectic as possible, to show the diverse range of music :notes: with extra soul. The range from others that have dropped in has been truely sublime.

Thanks for dropping in and sharing and I canā€™t wait to start digging through these recommendations of yours.

1 Like

Great new album. I didnā€™t see the UK garage vibe coming with this last track on the album - loved it.

Canā€™t wait to hear the album.

Hope it will be as good as this one

And to end the crop of resent music is this one with the title song standing out

1 Like

Now time to go back in time and discover the songs in Mikeā€™s posting. Thanks to all contributing

1 Like

If youā€™re into this kind of stuff, Iā€™ll give you two ā€œboogieā€ favorites, one old and one new :slight_smile:

Disco haters turn back ā€“ youā€™ve been warned! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Funky stuff from 50 Cent producer Jake One!

I added Daley and Kim Tibbs albums ā€“ will report back @dabassgoesboomboom @Joachim_Fishman ā€“ thanks guys!

1 Like

Currently jamming D Train. Nice! Oh yeh I have Tuxedo in my library.

Mayer Hawthorne is a talented cat too ! Pharrell on the drums and keys - I could pick that in a blind test/listen :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yup, and he really knows his stuff. He released a compilation of great Detroit soul and Motown called Soul With A Hole ā€“ hard to track down but has some great tracks if Iā€™m remembering correctly.

Also, somewhere in this apartment I have one of these :sunglasses:

1 Like

Check this out. I nearly fell off my chair when I heard it was Bobby Caldwell on here. And then I did fall off my chair when I found out Bobby had an entire new album.

That was the same reaction as when I first saw who was singing "What you wonā€™t do for loveā€™ back in high school (after hearing Tupacā€™s sample). Heā€™s too cool.

Talking about Pharrellā€™s longevity and ability to stay current and very relevant, hereā€™s some trivia not many know. On this classic, itā€™s Skateboard P with the S-DOUBLE-U-V at the start ! Back in '92 !! 25 years later heā€™s still making great music.

Itā€™s a little sad that I get so excited by this stuff. I love boring my friends with these little facts haha.

I need to stop here for today otherwise Iā€™ll go on and on lol.

Until next time, keep on vibin :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks @dabassgoesboomboom. Not really a soul guy, but Mayer sounds sweet!

1 Like

1 Like