NUC fan stays on - Why?

All you need to do is install Roon on your Mac and just use it as the remote interface, don’t try and set it up as the Core.
I have setup my big win10 all in one PC the same as it’s so easy to edit on that screen but my Core lives on another PC

1 Like

What @AceRimmer wrote. Install Roon on the Mac, it will find and use the ROCK as the core. That’s how it is supposed to be used with ROCK.

Of course, you can use any number and types of remotes, I use Rock with the full Roon on Windows plus tablets and phones interchangeably, wherever I am in the room and can grab. They all connect to the Rock that provides the core functionality.

However:

Are you sure? My understanding is the the phone versions are limited to playing and minor edits, but the tablet versions include nearly all features of the desktop versions. I haven’t used Roon on Apple devices, but this is certainly how it is on Android tablets, and I am very sure it’s the same on iPad. I am making edits on the tablet all the time.

For things like combining multiple albums into one, you will need multiselection, which works differently than on desktop versions. You initiate the multi-select with a tap-and-hold instead of a right-click. Then the items show checkboxes and you can add them to the selection.

(This works to multi-select in most touch apps)

Yes it does. Someone has told you how above. Hold rather than right click. I have done all of my editing using my iPad. I’d rather use that than a PC. And to put Roon back on your Mac, go through the process and at the point where it asks you to make it the core, say no and it the just installs as a control device. Relax, take a breath and ask. The answers are there. You can have as many Roon installs as you like. Only one can be running Roon but others can be used for control. And when you complete your editing, take a back up. Just in case.

1 Like

It’s MUCH simpler to install Roon on my MacBook Pro & use the mouse functions than to struggle with the Roon Remote on iPad. I’ve done that & spent the afternoon merging albums until Roon went wonky and started creating phantom albums.

I ran Disk Repair on the volume, and am now deleting duplicates. Once done, I’ll let Roon re-index and then begin editing again.

1 Like

Why do you have so many albums to merge? Do you mean merge or group? If grouping, do you have “Show hidden tracks and albums” in Settings set to No? (Asking because this should group nearly all automatically)

Why is Roon so complicated for you :crazy_face:

What is in your library that takes merging , Roon should ID albums automatically unless they are really obscure

It sounds like your making a lot of work out of it ??

1 Like

A lot of the music in my library isn’t totally commercial. I have recordings of my daughter’s college recitals, her performances with various symphony orchestras and string quartets, and her violin solos. I’m also one of those who often does not keep all the tracks of any given cd. I may have a folder for a performer or group with tracks from a half-dozen CDs in the same folder.

These factors make it difficult and often impossible for Roon to do automatic recognition / population of my folders. So I have to do more manual editing and grooming of my music library than most.

1 Like

That explains all,Roon is normally good with real albums

Good luck

Personally, in situations like this where you have a lot of non-commercially released music and you have to provide metadata, I use a third-party metadata editor to create file metadata and let Roon import the metadata into its database.

Roon’s metadata editing tools a) only edit metadata in its database and b) are limited and cumbersome. It’s like trying to paint using your mouse…

I agree only partially. The built-in editing tools are not perfect, however, at least I can choose the correct credits. If I tag artist credits in the files and several artists by that name exist in the Roon DB, it seems totally random which artist is assigned after importing the files to Roon, so I have to go and edit them in Roon anyway.

1 Like

In your scenario you are editing pre-existing metadata - however, using Roon’s editors to create metadata is a PITA (IMO)

2 Likes

That explains it and is inevitable.

This explains it as well but is the wrong way to go about it, IMHO. It makes it hard for Roon to identify anything, how should it. Better to import whole CDs and then use Roon tools to restrict them.

For daughter concerts, you are right, agree.

1 Like