Nuc newbie after advice

Hmmm. I’ve hit a hurdle from the off…
I have ROCK on a USB (downloaded and the transferred to the USB flash drive using etcher.io).
The NUC is powering up fine and when I hit F10 it goes to the boot menu… However, I can only see two different ethernet options - not a USB.
The mouse and keyboard are both working so I presume the USB is fine.
I’ve tried two different USB drives but both have the same issue.
What am I missing?
Edward

Have you checked the BIOS setup? Although you may not need to update it you will still have to set a few things up there to enable booting from USB, including turning off secure boot and enabling legacy boot.

Michael

3 Likes

Yes, thanks Michael. I have now made some progress… when @xxx had mentioned not following the BIOS instructions I took that to mean just leave them be. But I’ve now set them to legacy etc. - and I now realise that was what you were saying in your post above. I should read more carefully! I haven’t managed to find the section for having SSD boot first (in the visual BIOS window) but it does seem to have worked and I can now see the web interface… Now just need to sort the codecs… slow and steady wins the race! Thanks for your help! E

1 Like

Ok - I think the CODEC is now sorted… it’s a bit confusing that the download includes loads of files (.txt or otherwise) but that you only need one file - but there you go.
Onto different matters: music.
Although I use Tidal for lots of listening, I do want to import my music library onto the core. There is only one SSD in the unit and no HDD. My understanding is that I cannot use the internal SSD drive to put music. Is that correct? If so, why is there a ‘storage’ folder in the DATA drive?
Assuming I cannot use the internal SSD drive, I plan to attach a USB3 HDD drive to the NUC. Are there any requirements for the formatting of this drive? Currently it’s mac formatted (Mac OS extended). Should this be changed? And I guess I need somehow to tell ROCK where the music is on the HDD… yes?
Finally, I want to transfer my music onto this drive - it’s currently all in iTunes and hence mostly AAC files. Is this a problem?

Ok so I’ve answered one of my questions by trying it out (possibly should have done that first!) - the ROCK / NUC is now the Roon Core and it’s working with Tidal - great! In terms of my questions, by trying it out, I now know how to tell ROCK where the music is… so that’s one thing understood. But the rest I’m still interested to know… I appreciate that possibly all the information is already on the community forums so when I have a moment I’ll do a search. E

I have worked it all out so don’t worry about replying.
Thanks everyone for your help.
Edward

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.