NUC/ROCK/HDMI - surround playback for stereo content only 2 channels

Have read this:

It says:

“By default, Roon sends stereo/mono content using the “2.0” layout, and only multi-channel content uses the selected layout. Toggling this setting allows users to force surround playback for stereo content if desired”

When playing surround formats it works just fine (5.1) (Linn Selekt DSM Surround)

But when playing stereo files, it is only playing in 2 channels.

Is that possible at all to play stereo files as surround?

Torben

1 Like

Unfortunately, this functionality isn’t built into Roon DSP, although it is possible to use DSP to create a simulated version of a basic matrix surround processor using the two surround channels. My recent experiments with Roon DSP were interesting but the results were nothing like as good as the upmixers included in modern surround processors.

These have improved massively since the original Dolby Surround, and both DTS-X and Auro 3D can provide convincing immersive surround from a stereo source without adding weird artefacts. In fact, I now prefer listening to Auro 3D to stereo for many recordings.

As mentioned by Anthony, the only way I’ve found to simulate surround is with an AVR’s digital sound processors. My NUC is connected to my Denon receiver with HDMI for one zone. The receiver will play multi-channel files as recorded or automatically switch to one of the surround processors for Stereo if you have it setup to do so. Or all channel Stereo if you prefer. Even with Stereo only content the receiver does crossover to the subs.

I also tried the “Send stereo/mono content as 5.1” switch and was disappointed with the results. As I recall the AVR did see the incoming signal as multi-channel but only played the front L/R channels. The rest of the channels were silent. Roon had some reason to add the 5.1 switch but I don’t know what that was. They would probably need to licenses the surround processor technology or write their own code for simulation.

2 Likes

@Mike_LC @Gimlet - Thanks

Torben

1 Like

Try to play with Roon DSP - Procedural EQ - Add operation - Mix.

There should be some nice possibilities.

That’s interesting – I haven’t yet had the opportunity to listen to Auro3D surround, and now I’d like to.

So far the only synthetic surround generated from stereo which I routinely enjoy listening to and don’t mind leaving turned on as a default is Meridian’s Trifield.

1 Like

I also found Meridian Trifield an effective surround upmixer for stereo in the past. Having previously used the original Yamaha DSP processors in the early eighties, Meridian Trifield was a huge improvement.

I believe that Meridian leveraged some of the original Ambisonics technologies to allow Trifield to create a more sophisticated matrix surround effect. For me, it effectively widened and deepened the soundstage without adding any weird artefacts or artificial echo. It also worked equally well for any genre of music.

The impact of Auro 3D is very similar, but allows you a much wider variety of speaker layouts (up to 13.1), to create an effective sphere of musical effects. It accepts whatever you feed into the processor (stereo, 5.1, Atmos etc.) and then automatically up-mixes for the “missing” speakers. Works really well for stereo, but also for older mono recordings and especially for movies and TV series.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.