NUC running hot and accessing ROCK in Windows 10

Two interrelated questions.

My ROCK has just been running hot and loud - despite the fact it hasn’t been playing any music for hours. I’m not sure if this is related, but I’ve just started using the USB connection into my DAC.

I thought I might check the logs - then discovered a second problem. The ROCK isn’t showing up in Windows 10 again…

I’ve ensured the various SMB boxes are checked in Windows features

I’ve also used edit group policy - Computer configuration\administrative templates\network\Lanman Workstation and enabled insecure log ons.

No dice…

Can anyone help?

Cheers

When you say that your NUC isn’t showing up in Windows, have you explicitly entered the network address in Windows File Explorer? Windows 10 does have a habit of forgetting a ROCK NUC in the Network section of File Explorer, and it needs kicking by entering \\ROCK\ into the Network address field of File Explorer to find it again…

I got tired of never finding the data volume easily, and just removing the USB drive with the music directories, and updating it on my computer. I wish you could just mount that volume directly, and lastingly in file explorer.

That rant over, my i7 fanless NUC runs cooler with ROCK compared to when it ran Win10pro.

The NUC only runs as a server, as the streamer/DAC takes the music over the network.

Why do you think it can’t be?

1 Like

I have tried this, but I will give it another go

Thanks
Gareth

My rocks storage is mounted permanently on my windows pc. Don’t have any issues accessing it. Perhaps try using the ipaddress instead of its network name.

I’m afraid my computer can’t access the Rock still. Might need to rollback an update…

Is the Web Administration page of the ROCK NUC accessible?

Yes, it is - the problem is accessing the files

This might be an explanation

• Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro still contain the SMBv1 client by default after a clean installation. If the SMBv1 client is not used for 15 days in total (excluding the computer being turned off), it automatically uninstalls itself.
  • In-place upgrades and Insider flights of Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro do not automatically remove SMBv1 initially. If the SMBv1 client or server is not used for 15 days in total (excluding the time during which the computer is off), they each automatically uninstall themselves.

See

Might be time to move to SMB 2?

On another topic, I wonder if there might be a bug in Roon which means there is significant processing going when a usb cable is connected but no music is being played?

Ok! Managed to get into Roon via my laptop (which doesn’t have enough space to update Windows…) and accessed the logs.

There is a periodic “trace: [library]” reporting a number of ‘dirty tracks’, ‘dirty performers’ etc. On occasions this seems to run every few seconds or minutes.

Not sure if this is reason. In another post, I found this

Dirty tracks mean that the tracks need to be re-indexed, likely because you are performing edits on the tracks.

There should not have been any edits, particularly so frequently…

Happy to post the logs or extracts of them

Regards
Gareth

I’ve had that error message for years without any negative effects.

Thanks but it not the fact of the error that concerns me, it’s the frequency. It suggests that there is a significant process repeatedly running in the background scanning tracks, quite possibly accessing the hard drive.

This could be causing the overheating.