NUC10i3FNK2 Roon Core Kit slow

Sorry for your troubles, i appreciate the response!

I think we need to adress @support to see what your NUC Core’s logs say. Something is not in order here, your NUC really should deliver in practice just as good as your i9 PC…

1 Like

The Frost Canyon devices major on energy conservation and low base clock speeds mean that their starting point is low before system demands ramp up clock speeds and available power. This may be what is slowing the system down. I haven’t played with one of these yet but one possible option is to go into bios and set the device into a higher performance mode if that is possible. These higher TDP models (compared to anything up to 7th gen) use lots of performance management to keep things cool and power consumption down.

Using your PC as the core do you go direct to USB or via the network

I just made the same replacement but I went to i7 and 32 gb RAM ,bit excessive maybe

My windows core was i7 7700 16 gb but running all sorts of services.

I don’t really detect a difference but I will monitor it now

May well point to a network issue if you have an extra step in the chain

PS how long are the tracks you are listening. Roon loads the track before starting I think.

Just started a 3 minute track , immediate start no delay . This was local from SSD in the NUC

Everything in the network when the core server is the PC run fast with immediate song listen while click on it no matter how long it is (all my endpoint connected via Ethernet or wifi run as fast as the core server). Everything in the network when the core server is the nuc is slow (album load pretty ok but when I click the song it requires at least 5 to 10 second to play). I doubt it’s a network problem but never say never. Maybe if the @support could give some advice… Thank you anyway

Someone with a similar issue found that changing DNS fixed the issue.

Not my case. Now I’m trying to install windows 11 on nuc and try the “standard” nuc core on windows instead of the core kit (Linux). I would like to see if it changes something

I have no problems on my nuc10i3. Everything is loading fast. I am running Ubuntu server with roonserver on top of it. Also I did run Rock once, no problems either. Remote controle app on appleTV. Webcontroller on TVbrowser. Apps on my Macmini and android phone. All works perfect.
I have it connected with TEAC UD-301 DAC with USB to the core (nuc10)

I would use 10 and not 11.

Intel NUC with windows 11 and roon core installed and everything runs perfect on all my endpoints. The problem is only on the core kit!

1 Like

reinstalled ROCK… slow as it was. I need help from @support . I’ve chosen to install rock to have a light, fast and reliable software that can turn off the nuc via web (nuc is not connected to a m&k and a monitor, I want to use it only as a server purpose to stream music to my clients). Could someone give me a solution?

I first installed ubuntu server with pc monitor and keyboard and network cable off course. Then with terminal (macmini) I installed roonserver. Advance of installing ubuntu server is that you have access to you’re roonserver with ssh. You have also the option to install extensions like web controller. I believe you do not have access to Rock remotely? only to the data folder?

Completely off topic, but why would you give such advice?
I have two Roon servers running Windows 11 and they run perfectly fine?

I don’t use Ubuntu, I’m not used to Linux at all. Installing ROCK is so easy and I don’t want to install Ubuntu and use it because I can do the same installing windows 10/11 that I know well how to use. Now I’ve opened a ticket and I’ll see what they suggest to me. If I can’t solve the problem I’ll reinstall windows on the NUC and use that (I’ll access the NUC through remote desktop to start roon and shutdown it). I hope the support will give me the solution.
Thank you

I think because there are reports here in the forum of issues with Roon Core running on Windows 11 at the moment. And I have an issue with real-time lyrics causing the Roon client to close when running on two of my three Windows 11 systems.

Roon Labs are investigating these issues.

Okay, i haven’t seen anything like that myself, not on my portable Roon setup either. On the other hand i don’t use lyrics view and the OPs intention is running a headless Roon server.
For me, a headless Roon Server on Win11 is absolutely stable and very fast.

Maybe I missed this but I did not see it in the posts above.
Are you streaming hires and/or using Roon DSP functions?

This is puzzling. My experience with the Roon appliance is that it performs very well even on older, under-powered hardware, especially for basic streaming. You can try to test whether the slowness is caused by slow hardware or by something else (e.g., network configuration issues).

Could you add some real-time DSP to your playback? Resampling, filtering, etc. Then, Roon will give you the effective “processing speed.” To learn how to do that, follow this article on Roon Labs.

Start with resampling to the highest possible setting. Then, report back what the processing speed number is, possibly include a screenshot.

If Roon does not list a processing speed it means it is in excess of 100x

1 Like

The problem is not related to hardware of the NUC or network. As I said before, if on the NUC is installed windows 11 with “basic” core server everything runs smooth on all devices and the tracks are played immediately after clicking. The problem is only with Rock where the time that is necessary to play a song after clicking on it is so high (10 seconds at least).
When the song starts everything is ok and even upsampling to 392 for example is perfect (speed processing over 20x always or more). I read a lot of members reporting problems of slowness after last roon update. Now I’ll wait for the support answer and if nothing is working I’ll reinstall windows on the NUC even if it’s not what I want.
Thank you anyway.

So you are Upsampling using Roon DSP perhaps?
I did ask this but did not see any answers.

When I had a nuc 7i3 running Rock and Upsampling to dsd256 or higher it usually took 5 to 10 seconds for it to first start a track after pressing play. Once album started it was then fine.