NUC8i3 vs. 2017 iMac i5 - definitely not as snappy

Is this really true? Makes the NUC with Rock pretty useless, IMHO. If so, I guess it’s a Rock problem, not the NUC itself.

Sounds like a plan to me.

When I looked at the time I built the NUC, all the 2T drives were >10mm and the NUC says <9.5. I see that there are now 2T drives at 7mm! Great.

It did not work for me. Perhaps there is a way for it to work, but since the NAS seemed to work fine I didn’t investigate further.

Sorry tastydonuts. I seem to have sidetracked your thread. I got an answer I didn’t contemplate, and will now bow out until you give any updates.

Not at all - it’s all quite relevant to my larger question of what it takes to run a Roon core well.

I checked my BIOS. Everything is set to max performance, so unfortunately it looks like this is just the innate performance of the setup. If anyone else has any other tricks to try I’m game, but still surprised the server performance makes that much difference to the UI. Perhaps I should have gotten the i7…

So fan setting is allowed to be noisiest and TurboBoost is enabled? If there are C-state options, disable them. Some years ago I remember there were setups in which C-states decrease SSD performance significantly in benchmark, but this is not universally applicable to different SSD in different setup.

Another thing to try is to use Windows. Via power option or some other utility, it should be possible to adjust or observe the CPU clock rate and make sure it’s not lowered by governor or throttling.

Hey,

I have the same NUC in a fanless case with the fan speed in the BIOS set to ‘fanless’ and everything is super snappy! I have about 31k tracks.

Are you using Ethernet? Maybe it is a network latency issue?

Best Regards

Guy

The fan setting appears to be independent of CPU throttling as far as the BIOS indicates but I’ll try cranking up the fan just to confirm.

I’m on Ethernet hooked to the same router as the iMac so that’s not a factor. It’s not that the NUC is slow per se - it’s fine - it’s just not near-instantaneous navigating like the iMac is. I’ll tinker a bit more but it seems like something I’ll just have to live with. Not the end of the world…

WiFi or wired? Are you sure both cores are negotiating the same network rate?

Both are wired via gigabit directly to my Ubiquiti router.