Nucleus and interruption in playback

Hi from Sweden,
I’ve recently installed Nucleus and need @support . I have a problem that is new to me and did not occur when I previously used a PC as a core. There is a random interruption in
playback. It happens both with music from the library, my own CD, and with music from Tidal. Sometimes after 4 minutes another time after 9 minutes. It does not seem like Nucleus loses the contal with the network because I can press play and the music starts immediately. I have Nucleus connected to via a Compal CH7486e router / modem. My DAC is an Atoll 200 connected to Nucleus with USB. I have a 200 Mbits/s fiber broadband.

Hello @Thomas_Borjesson,

Thanks for contacting support regarding this issue, glad to see that you’ve decided to get the Atoll based on your previous post. As for this issue with the playback, I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode on your account and what this action will do is next time your Nucleus is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

I kindly ask for you to reproduce this issue once more and note the exact local time in your country (ex. 11AM) that you notice the random interruption(s) and let me know here. We can then cross-reference the diagnostics information as to see if there are any errors happening at that point in time.

Please let me know the above information when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris
Thanks for quick reply. I’ll complete my previous information with that my library is on a 1 TB SSD disk in Nucleus. I have tried also changed the buffer size to 100ms, without success.

Now for my observations. Today, October 16, 9.45 PM, the play stopped when I listened to the Amanda Maier Vol Violin concerto. A ripped CD in the bibliteket. The playback could not be replayed without Roon seeming to retry all the titles in the paragraph.

I played Tchaikovsky Manfred Symphony. Tidal MQA. The music stopped at 9.56 PM, 9.57 PM, 10.03 PM, 10.05 PM. I could restart the music at once. All times are local Swedish time.

/Thomas

Hello @Thomas_Borjesson,

Thanks for your reply. I can confirm that the diagnostics from your machine have successfully reached our servers and I have started a case regarding this issue with our QA team.

I will be sure to let you know once QA has finalized their report and has passed it back to me. I appreciate your patience while that occurs on our end and I will update you once I have more information to share.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Thomas_Borjesson,

I appreciate your patience while QA has taken a look at the diagnostics from your machine. They have noted that it seems like some kind of communications hiccup between Roon and the DAC and as such would kindly ask if you can verify the following:

• Does the same issue still occur when using another USB cable?
  • Does it still occur when using another USB port on your Nucleus?
  • Do you experience the same behavior when using another Zone or DAC? If you do not have another DAC available, can you try playing those same tracks on “System Output” and let me know if you notice the same issue?
  • If you experience the issue again with the above tests, can you please let me know the timestamp when it occurs?

I look forward to hearing back your response to the above when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @noris
Tanks for fast answer. Here are the results of my tests. When I used the other USB port on Nucleus there was no change. The music stops at 8.29 PM 17 okt local time.
Using another USB cable didn´t change. The music stop at 8.25 PM.
New this time was that I got an message on the controller when the music stops. “Roon lost control of the audio device”.
I have no other DAC to test with so I have to skip that option.
When I use the Zone “System Output” the was no problem the music plays without interruption.

It seems to be something with the Atoll. Not good.

/Thomas

Hello @noris
Hello
I want to inform about my own investigations. As I said in another thread, it has been a little difficult to get a clear answer as to whether the Atoll 200 can be used with Nucleus. BeforeI bought Nucleus, I turned to the dealer in Stockholm who sold my in 2012. In a coincidence they had an Atoll 200 and could then try it with Nucleus. It worked great. I have again been in contact with the dealer in Stockholm and they have tried again. Everything works great. Upon closer examination, it shows that I have a very old software in my Atoll. I have now ordered an update of the software. We’ll take a look and see what this can improve

/Thomas

Hello @Thomas_Borjesson,

I just wanted to check in with you here and see how the Atoll was working after performing the firmware update. Are you still running into any more issues? Please let me know when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @noris
Thank you for your question. I have not yet updated Atoll. The update is ordered and comes from France. It consists of an insert card installed in the DAC. As soon as I install the update, I will report how it works. The sound with Nucleus and Atoll is really fantastic so I hope it works.

/Thomas

1 Like

Hello @noris
I have now completed the firmware update to the Atoll 200. Unfortunately, it did not lead to any change. I still get irregular interruptions in playback. Sometimes in connection with the interruptions, Nucleus Zon also loses. I then start Roon and then find the Zone Atoll USB connection. I do not know how to proceed now. The store in Stockholm where I bought Nucleus runs a Nucleus to Atoll 200 with the same firmware that I have now in my and without any problems.

/Thomas

Hello @Thomas_Borjesson,

Sorry to hear that upgrading the firmware has not resolved the issue. I can confirm that our servers have received the most recent diagnostics from your Core and I have submitted it to QA for analysis. I have also added your case to be discussed with one of our developers towards the end of this week and I will be sure to let you know their thoughts on this matter, I appreciate your patience while they have a chance to review the diagnostics info.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Thomas_Borjesson,

I appreciate your patience here while. I have discussed this case with the team today and the best way to proceed would be to try and understand why your results are different from your dealer, can you please let us know who your dealer is and we will contact them? Or if you prefer for them to contact us you can share this thread with them. Please let me know if this is possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @noris
Thank you for your efforts. My dealer in Stockholm is called Ljumakarn AB and has the following email address.
mail@ljudmakarn.se

I have announced to them that you will contact.

/Thomas

1 Like

Hello @noris
I have a happy news from Sweden. I have tried a number of different USB cables until I had a chance to try the Chord Silver Plus cable. Fantastic no interruptions in music. I play and play and am so happy.

Thank you for all the help I received from a wonderful support.!!

/Thomas

Hello @Thomas_Borjesson,

Glad to hear that changing the cable to a Chord Silver Plus has resolved the playback issues. If you run into any other issues with your setup, don’t hesitate to let me know!

Thanks,
Noris

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.