Nucleus Backups

@Nucleus Support
Question:
I have Nucleus configured to automatically perform a backup every 4 days and keep up to 10 copies. My system and network details can be found below. I am wondering if I have accumulated more than 10 copies and have concern about storage space and whether or not the system is doing the appropriate cleanup or whether I need to do something.

Configuration screen shot:

The backups are stored on the same NAS as my music files but on a discrete share. Here is a Windows Explorer screen shot showing the share and primary folders:

As you can see in the properties window there is almost 120 GB of data in this share containing ~78,000 files and ~100,000 folders. Of the 2 subfolders here, the one titled “RoonBackups” dated 7/18/2019 seems obsolete and the other folder is current. I believe the obsolete one occurred when one of your software updates prevented Roon from seeing the NAS using UNC naming and you had me switch to an IP address naming convention.

So my actual questions are: Are my backups working properly? Is this number of files and data amount normal? If not, how do I safely clean things up? The proper use of the option to restore/cleanup backups in the user guide wasn’t very informative to me and I don’t want to screw up having good backups.
Thanks for your guidance.
Robert Crawford

System/Network Details:
Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Nucleus Serial #94C6911CFD7A
Roon Version: 1.7 (build 528)
RoonOS Version: Version 1.0 (build 186)
Vendor Version: 1.0 (build 12)

Nucleus connect via Ethernet to switch

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Windows 10 Home; 64 bit
Verizon Fios G3100 Home Router (Gigabyte service)

Netgear GS108 Gigabit Switch
QNAP TS-251+ NAS

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Moon 390 Network Player

Connected via Ethernet

If you open find backups you can see the backups listed and dates etc in the selected folder from there you can delete older ones

There is probably not much point keeping too far back as database field changes happen in major release/updates and are not backwards compatible.

Hi @Robert_Crawford,

Depending on your library size, 10 backups around ~120GB is to be expected. As @wizardofoz mentioned, you can use Roon’s backup manager to delete some of the older ones or set Roon to back up less often.

Downgrading versions of Roon is not supported but generally speaking, older backups should import properly into new version of Roon. This is not something we specifically test for but theoretically they should be compatible.

1 Like

Thanks Norris, I was able to use the Roon Backup Manager to find and delete the obsolete set of backups from last summer and used windows explorer to delete a gazillion empty folders. It looks like I now only have the appropriate 10 current backups. Thanks again for the support.
Robert Crawford

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.