Nucleus cannot make connection for more than few seconds

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Nucleus
MacBook Pro, Iphone, Ipad

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Internet: Comcast business
Router: Technicolor Device Type BWG, Model DPC3941B
Network: Linksys Velop Mesh Network
Roon connected to network through ethernet to a TP-Link 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch | Ethernet Splitter | Sturdy Metal w/Shielded Ports |Plug-and-Play | Traffic Optimization | Unmanaged (TL-SG108)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

QNAP is also connected to the Network Switch
Bluesound Node 2i (4 of them)
Supra CAT 8+ ETHERNET cables

Description Of Issue

When I bring up App on MacBook or iPhone, it cannot connect to the Nucleus. It does for a minutes, shows my last queue and devices and then I get “lost Connection” Issue.

Bluesound App is able to connect to Tidal and my music server fine.

I did upgrade the ethernet cables earlier this week from basic ones, but everything was working fine till this morning. Have not been able to get it to work all day.

Hi @Richard_Guth,

Can you verify what kind of TP-Link switch you’re using?

Are you able to access the Nucleus Web Administration Interface?

Dylan, I don’t understand how to get to the Web Administration Interface. Is there a URL? Is a download that is not the app I have on my desktop? Cause the desktop and mobile apps don’t let me do anything. They flash like they are working and then flash to Lost Connection.

This is my Switch (TL-SG108)

thanks for your help. I miss my Roon :frowning:

Yes, there is a URL - it’s the URL of the Nucleus. Use the internet browser on your MacBook to access it.

Just type the ipaddress of the nucleus into a web browser, depending on your network setup you might also be able to use it’s friendly name of nucleus so http://nucleus or replace nucleus with its ip address, you should be able to find this from your router if not known.

Hi @Richard_Guth,

There are instructions in the linked article or you can use http://nucleus/ as suggested above. Are you able to access the web UI this way?

As a test have you tried using different Ethernet cables and confirm if there is any difference?

Are the lights on the Ethernet port of the Nucleus on?

Dylan,

I am able to get into the admin console. Screenshot is attached.

The Ethernet port lights are on.

I have tried BlueJeans Cable and a generic cable, and I am getting the same results.

Thanks CrystalGipsy. I was able to access, thanks for your help.

thanks Geoff

Hi @Richard_Guth,

Thank you for sharing that screenshot. I kindly request the two followup aspects for you to verify:

1. Is the behavior the same when you plug in your MacBook Roon Remote via Ethernet to the switch?

2. We have had a few reports that using IPv6 on Technicolor routers can sometimes cause issues as mentioned in our Networking Best Practices. Would it be possible to set IPv6 exceptions for Roon in your Technicolor router firewall or disable IPv6 as a temporary test to see if this has any effect with regards to this issue?

@noris,

1. I don’t know what this means to “plug in my Roon remote to the switch via Ethernet”. By “Roon remote” are you referring to the Roon Controller on my Mac to control the Nucleas? Or another software? Or do you just want my Mac to connect via Ethernet to the switch which I think it is already)

2. I hired an IT consultant who added exceptions for Roon and RAATServer to the router’s IPv6 firewall settings a couple of weeks ago. It worked great for a week or so, then this. Is that what you mean or is there more to do?

Thanks.

Hi @Richard_Guth,

Yes, I was asking here if your Roon Controller was plugged in via Ethernet as to eliminate WiFi from the equation as a possible source for the issues.

Thank you for verifying this. No, just having the exceptions should be sufficient.

I wonder if this is part of the issue. If you still have the old cables, is there any change if you temporarily swap them back? Sometimes Ethernet cables do get damaged and exhibit strange behavior.

If the behavior still occurs with the old Ethernet cables, I would try bypassing the Network switch and try plugging the Nucleus directly into the Velop router. If the same behavior does not occur, it is possible that the switch is experiencing issues.

@noris, I connected Nuclear directly to Velop and it almost worked, The Controller would stay open a little and show my queue and ask me to pick an audio zone. But as soon as I clicked “pick an audio zone” it would go blank again. ( I tried on laptop and iPhone)

Here is how everything is connected with which cable. All of the switch lights are flashing.

TP-Link 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch | Ethernet Splitter | Sturdy Metal w/Shielded Ports |Plug-and-Play | Traffic Optimization | Unmanaged (TL-SG108)

Port 1: MacBook Pro Laptop - Certified Blue Cat 6A Patch Cable (3 foot)
Port 2: Laser Printer - Generic black cable
Port 3: Router - Certified Blue Cat 6A Patch Cable (3 foot)
Port 4: Empty
Port 5: Synology - Generic black cable
Port 6: QNAP - Supra Cat 8 Computer Network Cable (1 meter)
Port 7: BlueSound node2i - Supra Cat 8 Computer Network Cable (3 meter)
Port 8: Roon - Supra Cat 8 Computer Network Cable (3 meter)

Router: Technicolor Device Type BWG, Model DPC3941B
Port 1:Linksys Velop Mesh AP - Supra Cat 8 Computer Network Cable (3 meter)
Port 2: Network Switch - Supra Cat 8 Computer Network Cable (1 meter) - tried with and without

Oddly my new laser printer isn’t connecting anymore either. Don’t know if that is related or not.

Any ideas what is wrong?
Is there such a thing as a higher-end Network Switch I would need with all this?

(sorry about the bold port lines, I copied them from excel and it did that automatically. I did not see how to change them)

Hi @Richard_Guth,

Thank you for confirming that aspect for me. As a follow-up step, I have gone ahead and activated diagnostics mode for your Nucleus and what this action does is automatically upload a set of logs to our servers for analysis. I will be sure to reach out to you again once logs have been received and analyzed.

Hi @Richard_Guth,

Thank you again for your patience while our technical team has been looking into this issue for you.

I spoke with our team today regarding their evaluation of the logs from your install. Sometimes, errors like the one you saw can be spurious, but unfortunately in this case they are seeing signs of low level corruption in your database.

This type of error is extremely rare for us and not one that we see often. Our database infrastructure is designed specifically to prevent this type of corruption, and we don’t take this class of issue lightly.

We’ve traced a few reports like this in the past to hard drive integrity issues but generally speaking, this means that Roon is reading information from your hard drive that is different from what was originally written, and the database is now unable to load properly.

What’s Next?

If you’ve been making regular backups, my advice would be to install Roon fresh on your Core machine, and roll back to one of your backups. If the database loads properly, your edits, playlists, tags, etc should be intact, and we can confirm everything is performing properly once it’s been restored.

If you do not have any backups, unfortunately you will need to start with a fresh database. In either case, it is suggested that you set the old database aside by using the following instructions:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database

Again, this class of issue is extremely rare for us and you have our apologies for the trouble here.

@noris,

I have restored Roon fresh on my core machine and rolled back to a database back up from two weeks ago. (Roon had been doing regular backups).

Looks like I have my library, services and playlists back.

I would really appreciate it if you folks could pull some logs and confirm that everything is clean and back where it should be.

Thanks for you help.

PS: All audio-related devices are now using Supra Cat 8 and there is definitely more information getting through. I don’t know if it is more than I would have gotten from using all Blue Cat 6A’s but I don’t regret the upgrade. I am using the Blue Cat 6as for my data devices.

:smile:

Hi @Richard_Guth,

Glad to hear that the restore procedure worked and everything appears to be operational again. I have just enabled diagnostics mode for your Nucleus again, but I am not seeing a report come in. Can I please ask you to reboot the Nucleus and let me know once it is up and running again? I will check for the diagnostics report again once I hear back from you.

@noris, I went into the admin console and selected “restart server software”. Is that what you wanted me to do or do I need to power it down and restart?

Hi @Richard_Guth,

Thanks for restarting the server software, yes that is what I was hoping for and can confirm that logs have been delivered.

I have just reviewed the most recent log set and they appear to be intact and do not contain any corruption traces.

I am going to go ahead and mark this issue as [solved], but if you experience any further abnormal behavior please do not hesitate to reach out to us again and feel free to reference this thread.

Thank you again for reaching out to us and I wish you a pleasant rest of your day, as well as a continued enjoyable Roon experience!