Nucleus connectivity issues and failure to detect a SSD

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

???

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Everything is hardwired ethernet. WiFi is only used by an iPad remote. Router is a Pakedge WR-1.
13" MacBook Pro, mid 2012, Mojave 10.14.6.
External Library drive is a WD, 4T My Book.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

PS Audio Direct Stream DAC with ethernet card, ethernet connection.

Description Of Issue

I have been working with ListenUp in Colorado Springs, CO to install a Nucleus RevB on my Home Theater system. We have had many, what I will call, connectivity issues. My system was based on a MacBook Pro where the ROON Core was located. My Library was located on an external HD using a USB port. I use iTunes extensively with my MacBook Pro to rip CDs, edit metadata and to create almost daily iTunes Playlists. I had no connectivity issues until I decided to install a Nucleus on my home Network. The Nucleus was installed by ListenUp in my router/modem closet. No other hardware/wire changes were made to the external drive or the MacBook Pro. There may have been some software changes by ListenUp that I am not aware of??? The connectivity issues were blamed on the USB connection to the Library.

Often ROON would lose the Nucleus connection to the Library and ListenUp’s solution was to not turn off the MacBook Pro. This solution was not acceptable to me: the external, Library drive was almost always running and if the power were to shut down (which happens too often) I would have connectivity problems. Another solution was offered by ListenUp to install a SSD into the Nucleus.

I have installed a 2T, SanDisk Plus SSD but I have not been able to find the “Internal Music Storage” option to format the disk. After 5 hrs and playing a 2 hr. playlist, I have still not found the formatting option??? It appears that the Nucleus has failed to detect the SSD for formatting.

Please advise,
Thanks,
Richard Caspari

Three lines top left of screen, then settings, then setup, then Configure Roon Devices, then click on the IP address and on the browser screen that gets opened you should see your internal storage, please post an image of this screen.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Nucleus_Internal_Storage

I have read this page at least a dozen times. No help!

So as requested can you post an image of that screen so we can see what you have? Have you checked the cables on the SSD you added to ensure they are connected properly on the board and SSD.

The SSD clip is one of the tightest connection I have ever seen. I cannot imagine how it could not be firmly connected.

Wrong screen. Go to the webUI (type in the Nucleus IP address in a web browser and you will see the option to format the drive.

Ok you are going wrong, see the image below, eg settings, setup, Configure and then just click on the IP address.

Which will open the window below, I have no internal storage but your storage should be shown below the Roon Server Software.

OK! The secret was to click on the IP address. I have seen this screen many times and never thought to click on the IP address. The formatting is already complete and now I will try to get my library transferred to the SSD.

Let’s blame it on my foggy thinking because of the Chinese flu!

You access the storage from finder on the Mac, you should see Nucleus (not Rock as I stated previously) listed on the left select it then data then storage then internal storage.
You should then be able to copy files to the drive, remember to check in Roon storage, eg settings, storage and ensure the internal storage is set up as a storage location, it should be but it is worth checking?

I’m completely lost! I have not found ROCK. I did find Data, Storage and Internal Storage folders but did not perceive that any copying was taking place. I don’t remember how I got to these folders. I think it was some kind of listing under devices.

I did check ROON storage and the internal drive was disabled and I changed it to enabled.

Hi Richard,

You’re looking for Nucleus, not ROCK. Ratbert made a mistake, assuming you were using a ROCK Nuc.

On your Mac, click on the Finder icon at the bottom of the screen and open a finder window. At the top of the screen, click Go and then Connect to Server.

Type in smb://Nucleus/Data/Storage/InternalStorage

Open another window showing the music on your Mac. Now you just want to drag the music from your Mac to the internal drive of the Nucleus.

Nucleus Internal Storage info here.

Cheers, Greg

1 Like

Can I use the “Carbon Copy Cloner” application that I use to create backups of my Library? I did open it and it was able to locate the Nucleus Internal Storage SSD drive. All I have to do is click “clone.” My fingers are crossed that you will say yes, OK.

Yes, I remember now that it was the Nucleus/icon option that I selected.

I don’t know that software at all, so I’m not in a position to say if it would work or not. Others may be able to tell you.

Cheers, Greg

I suspect Carbon Copy Cloner will copy the disk format as well so I wouldn’t use it, just drag and drop should be ok.

1 Like

When I first used Carbon Copy Cloner, the two backup hard drives I was using were already formatted for my MacBook Pro. There has been no indication that any formatting was involved with cloning (copying)???

Drag and Drop What to Where? Obviously my iTunes Library to the Nucleus Internal Storage SSD. How do I get both of these on the screen at one time to Drag and Drop?

When I used Carbon Copy Cloner it was to copy my Mac disk to an unformatted drive which it completed successfully, hence my advising caution.

Regarding copying data it should be easy to open the internal storage window on your Mac, you then need to navigate to where your iTunes library is stored where you should see all your files, select them all and copy them to your Nucleus internal drive.
I am no iTunes expert but a quick google search gave the following:

Open iTunes. From the menu bar at the top of the iTunes window, choose Edit > Preferences. Click the Advanced tab. Look in the box under “iTunes Media folder location " for the location of your iTunes Media folder.

If you are not confident I would advise obtaining someone’s help.

To add to what Ratbert said, you can open the Nucleus window, move and resize to one side of the screen.

Then with Finder at the top left of the screen, select File > New Finder Window. Move and resize this window, navigate to iTunes music and drag the music over to the other window.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Greg

When you wrote that “it should be easy to open the internal storage window on your Mac,” I started thinking that there should be a desktop icon. And, sure enough, there it was on my messy desktop. My iTunes library is the only thing on my external drive and it’s icon is obviously on the desktop too. So I did a “Drag and Drop” of my external HD icon onto the Nucleus Data icon and copying began. But, it is extremely slow and a time estimate says “about a day.” And, I feel they mean a 24hr. day, not a 12hr. day. Hopefully this will not reformat the SSD???